Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I've recently upgraded to this sub from a Paradigm PDR 8.

A friend told me that due to the Sunfire 500w amp in the NHT I am effectively Bi-Amped with the crossover set to 60 to match my 5 Totem model 1 speakers which apparantly go clean to 40.

He suggested that the 250w rating of the Paradigm was probably a stretch and that I now had a true 500w amp.

My question is that since the upgrade of the 5800 which gave it THXULTRA 2 status and apparantly means there are 7 independant 170w amps how does this sub contribute to the concept of Bi-Amping.

I would like this to be true but don't quite understand how it is achieved if the amps on the 5800/03 are discrete.

I think I understand the concept and benefit of Bi-Amping but would like an explanation on how the NHT SB 2 (or any other sub which gets plugged in to a discrete channel) benefits any channel but the LFE.

Thanks,

Peter m.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I wouldn't be so sure if the NHT really puts out 500W either. Sunfire has a long history of exaggerations, not the least of which is calling a 350W amplifier a 2700W amplifier, something they eventually were forced to retract. NHT has also gone to 200W amplifiers so power ratings aren't everything. Also, the Denon can't really do 7 true monoblocks, there's no space to do that. They do run off the same power supply which is why they are rated at 170W each, but can only do 118W with all channels driven. Nonetheless, you probably have plenty of power, so I wouldn't worry about it. The benefit of a sub is that the satellites will require less power if actively crossed over and also the speakers will handle more power. So the Denon strains less and your Totems strain less since neither have to handle low frequencies.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Al, and thanks for the input.

So I guess everyone is lying exept you and I or should we suggest that the manufactures never let the truth get in the way of a good story!!

Sine I still have the ParadigmPDR8, and the Denon has 2 sets of analogs, is there any merit to plugging my dvd-a's sub out directly to it and handling the crossover and volume for LFE on the sub itself?

Peter m.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I wouldn't do that, you still need gain control from the receiver. Also, you'd want to hook the NHT sub up to the sub out and set all your speakers to "small" with a 60-80Hz crossover. Probably 80Hz to be honest. The new NHT amps are a true 200W, but I don't really believe the Sunfire amps put out 500W RMS. It is a really nice sub though. I just got the NHT Evolution subs and LOVE them.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Joel, I'm going to take your advice and not try anything unconventional.

The NHT is the last piece of my HT and a significant improovement. I'm not putting down the pdr 8 it was and is great and very reliable as I started getting into this hobby. I put it up for sale in Toronto but I still have the ONKYO 575 and paradigm cc370 center in the living room with a couple of L?r RatShack L/R speakers so who knows.

Thanks again,

Peter m.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.