AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a new set of speakers for my new apartment, which has VERY limited desk space, so I can't fit the usual bookshelf speakers. A little background: My previous speakers are the Creative t40 ii, I'm satisfied with them but recently have decided to stop supporting them for terrible business practices. I also have some pretty decent headphones and CIEMs, so I'm not completely new to enthusiast audio.

I've been doing a lot of reading and searching the past few months, and have narrowed down my candidates to the NHT Super Zero 2.1 and the Q Acoustic 3010/3020s. Would love to hear any opinions from anyone who have compared them before.

I can add a ~8" sub for the bass below the desk, if necessary. I'm also considering the HK Soundsticks 3 for a pre-made 2.1 system, but I doubt those sticks can hold their own against proper satellites.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

P.S. Paging djp2k7 in particular, I know you have heard those before! :wink:

·
Registered
23,778 Posts
I've had both the 3020s and the SuperZero. The main advantage of the SZ is its smaller size and being a sealed cabinet design, so you can push it flush up against a wall if needed. However if you are ok with the bigger depth of the 3020 and can have it at least 6-12 inches away from a wall, I would take the 3020...it will be easier to drive and generally easier to integrate with a sub because it has a lot more mid-bass than the SZ.

If you want a sealed cabinet design that has more mid-bass extension than the SZ, I'd recommend the Ascend HTM-200SE:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/htm200/htm200.html

If your use is primarily music and you like a warm, laid back sound, the Wharfedale Diamond 220 is worth consideration as well.

·
Registered
23,778 Posts

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a new set of speakers for my new apartment, which has VERY limited desk space, so I can't fit the usual bookshelf speakers. A little background: My previous speakers are the Creative t40 ii, I'm satisfied with them but recently have decided to stop supporting them for terrible business practices. I also have some pretty decent headphones and CIEMs, so I'm not completely new to enthusiast audio.

I've been doing a lot of reading and searching the past few months, and have narrowed down my candidates to the NHT Super Zero 2.1 and the Q Acoustic 3010/3020s. Would love to hear any opinions from anyone who have compared them before.

I can add a ~8" sub for the bass below the desk, if necessary. I'm also considering the HK Soundsticks 3 for a pre-made 2.1 system, but I doubt those sticks can hold their own against proper satellites.

I'd get the 3020s in a heartbeat if they fit your situation.

As to adding a sub, what is your amplifier/receiver?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses, everyone!

As far as the NHT route -- I would take the SuperOne 2.1 over the superZero
If your use is primarily music and you like a warm, laid back sound, the Wharfedale Diamond 220 is worth consideration as well.
As much as I'd like, I really can't fit a pair of ~7" speakers. Around 6" is the hard limit.

Also, I just found out that the 3020 is actually significantly bigger than the 3010 (I thought it was just an internal specs difference), so the 3020 actually gets ruled out. I don't have leeway with the depth, either. I can push it a bit but it'll a bit sketchy as a small part of the speaker would probably be hanging off the table, and ~2-4 inches away from a glass window metal window frame, not a solid wall. Between the 3010 and the NHT, is the 3010 still a clear winner?

I'm also more of a bright and analytical listener, although these speakers are for more casual listening, if that helps narrow down any.

As to adding a sub, what is your amplifier/receiver?
I don't have any yet, but I could get some from Zeos' list and some further reading, probably ~$2-300 for both. More importantly, I just realised that I can't reasonably add a sub. The prime budget options from Dayton are for 110v mains, there's no distributor in Aus, and it costs about the price of the subs itself to ship. The cheapest reasonable ones here go for $500+, so a sub might be out of the question now.

If you want a sealed cabinet design that has more mid-bass extension than the SZ, I'd recommend the Ascend HTM-200SE:
[Don't have enough posts to post URL yet lol]
That seems to be a valid option I haven't come across before. $24 international shipping is a miracle. How does it compare, in other sound categories, against the SZ 2.1 and 3010?

·
Registered
23,778 Posts
That seems to be a valid option I haven't come across before. $24 international shipping is a miracle. How does it compare, in other sound categories, against the SZ 2.1 and 3010?
I would expect the HTM-200SE to be more neutral and accurate, and possibly having more treble resolution. The 3010 will probably sound a little warmer, and the SZ *might* be slightly brighter in comparison. The 3010 and 200SE will be very close in terms of mid-bass, the SZ will be noticeably behind in that department.

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
I don't have any yet, but I could get some from Zeos' list and some further reading, probably ~$2-300 for both. More importantly, I just realised that I can't reasonably add a sub. The prime budget options from Dayton are for 110v mains, there's no distributor in Aus, and it costs about the price of the subs itself to ship. The cheapest reasonable ones here go for $500+, so a sub might be out of the question now.

The HTM200 looks to be closer to the size of the 3020 than the 3010.

This sub likely plays down to around 35hz if not a bit lower and is $230 US.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-e...erwood-sw10-100w-subwoofer-gloss-black/97010/

How much in AUD$ are Q Acoustics 3010s?

Less than these that might work?

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-e...-zensor-1-bookshelf-speakers-black-ash/95001/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

jbhifi link

jbhifi link
You're right, the HTM is indeed testing the limits a little. And the sub recommendation is excellent! Can't believe I didn't spot that before. It's a little big but I should be able to free up some space on the floor for this.

Currently, I see the NHT priced at $333 shipped, and the QA 3010 (on promotion) at $279 shipped. The 3010 seems to have an edge on the bass extension if I don't get a subwoofer, but is the NHT really a superior choice if I do get the sub?

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
Currently, I see the NHT priced at $333 shipped, and the QA 3010 (on promotion) at $279 shipped. The 3010 seems to have an edge on the bass extension if I don't get a subwoofer, but is the NHT really a superior choice if I do get the sub?
sound is subjective -- one might say based on their ears, that one is better than the other-- however with your ears, you may say the other is better. There are no real losers on your options.

·
Registered
22,719 Posts

jbhifi link

You're right, the HTM is indeed testing the limits a little. And the sub recommendation is excellent! Can't believe I didn't spot that before. It's a little big but I should be able to free up some space on the floor for this.

Well, it is not unusual to have bookshelf speakers not play low, but for me, I'd really want a speaker to get down to at least 70hz to be perfectly honest for better blending with a sub.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just snagged a 2nd-hand Sherwood for $75AUD, seems to be in great condition.

This is a shot of the back of the unit, should I count on this sub to do 35-100Hz well (reportedly where the NHT does the steep roll-off)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help and patience, guys. I've decided to go with the NHTs afterall. They're much smaller (volume) than the QA, and are sealed. I realised that the window would almost always be open on one of the sides, which might cause some weird imbalancing with the back porting.

Now, seeing that the sub is active and has an integrated amp, do I still need a separate amp for my satellites, or can they just use the sub's?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Hi everyone!

Haha good memory. You've been getting great advice. I too would recommend the 3020's if you have the room. And you may be happy with those w/o a subwoofer. That would not be the case with the sz's. The sz's are good speakers no doubt, but I think for them to be at their best they need to be setup properly and integrated with a good sub that will blend well with them. Meaning a sub that plays well at 120-150hz.

As far as the 3020 vs 3010 I'd go with the 3020's. They're only slightly bigger and not much more expensive and are the better sounding speaker. I have both currently.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Thanks for all the help and patience, guys. I've decided to go with the NHTs afterall. They're much smaller (volume) than the QA, and are sealed. I realised that the window would almost always be open on one of the sides, which might cause some weird imbalancing with the back porting.

Now, seeing that the sub is active and has an integrated amp, do I still need a separate amp for my satellites, or can they just use the sub's?
Oops I replied to your original post before seeing this one. The NHT's are a good choice too. Either way you can't really go wrong. However yes you need a amp for them. And the sz's aren't all that efficient. Are you working with a budget? If so maybe a pair of powered speakers would be a better choice. Like some AudioEngine's. If not then I'd recommend getting a decent integrated amp. You could also get something like a t-amp from Amazon but I'm not sure how good the sz's would sound with something like that.

·
Registered
22,719 Posts

Ideally an Audio Video receiver as they have bass management albeit you need to temporarily hook up to a video monitor to see the setup menus.

This is the least expensive one I could find.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-e...erwood-rd6506b-5-1-channel-av-receiver/71665/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry for going MIA suddenly! My laptop wifi card went complete bonkers.

An update: the Sherwood deal fell through, but instead I got a Yamaha YST SW-225 for $50 more, which seems to be a far better deal. This also has an integrated amp and an adjustable cut-off frequency, which takes care of the need for a receiver.

Having this beastly sub, I'm planning to get the NHT SZ to save space. The only unknown left is the amp for them. Some redditors have advised me that since it's a tiny room and Ii'll be

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
Sorry for going MIA suddenly! My laptop wifi card went complete bonkers.

An update: the Sherwood deal fell through, but instead I got a Yamaha YST SW-225 for $50 more, which seems to be a far better deal. This also has an integrated amp and an adjustable cut-off frequency, which takes care of the need for a receiver.

Having this beastly sub, I'm planning to get the NHT SZ to save space. The only unknown left is the amp for them. Some redditors have advised me that since it's a tiny room and Ii'll be

1 - 18 of 18 Posts