AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found out from my local dealer that I can get a complete NHT VT-3 system (7.1) for a steal. Specificially, it would be:

-1 pair VT-3's with bass controller

-1 VC-3 center channel

-2 pairs VR-3's for sides and surrounds

The price for all of this would be $5600 - vs. a retail of $10,800. All brand new, in the boxes, with a five year warranty.

I'm currently running an M&K S-150THX 7.1 system, using Parasound amplification (at least 200 watts all around).

What do you think? I know NHT is getting out of their "3" series, so do you think that would be a drawback? I've heard these speakers, and they do sound amazing. However, the M&K's really sound great too.

Look forward to your responses.

Thanks!

·
Banned
536 Posts
- The VT-3s are being discontinued at the end of the year: shame on NHT. The 3.3s and 2.9s will also be discontinued. HNT will be making small speakers only!!

- I would say buy them. They are terrific. Personally I would buy two pairs of VT-3s, one for the front, and one for the rear, though. The best set up is always five identicals speakers.

- My audio set up for video consists of five 3.3s. Cosmetically I like the 3.3s better than the VT-3s. I like those angled baffles: don't have to angle the speakers. Very deep (31") and narrow (7"), not quite as tall as the VT-3s (43"), the 3.3s truly look like thoroughbreds to me.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I've had mine(VT-3,VC-3)for almost a year and I'm still smiling!:D

For that price, it IS a steal.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Grosse Fatigue,

How do you use a 3.3 as a center channel? Do you angle the speaker so its front face is flat to the listening position?

When I talked to Bill Bush (head NHT engineer) at CES in January, he said that the VT-3 is an upgrade to the 3.3. Basically, when he designed the VT-3, he decided to fix all the things in the 3.3 that bothered him. I wrote it up and it's on:

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/ces2.../page_18.shtml

That's too bad about NHT discontinuing their large speakers. I own a pair of 3.3s, and they're one of my favorite speakers.

--Andre

·
Registered
109 Posts
The 3.3 and 2.9's will be discontinued at the end of the year, but the VT series will not be phased out until sometime next year... The replacement will be called "EVOLUTION". This new line will offer BOTH small and large speakers. The change will feature the new laquer paint similiar to the new Super Audio series which was just released. I'm told EVOLUTION will combine the Music series and the H/T series. The speakers will have a modular design so that you can configure Subs separately with upper drivers. I'm not sure what else has been finalized, but don't expect release until Spring 02...

As far as the VT3 system...It's awsome! It actually easier to power than the VT2.4 since there is a built in 500 WAtt Sunfire amp inside each VT3 Tower!

For that price I'd jump on it! But beware. NHT is really cracking down on unauthorized dealers (I'm sure you are purchasing from someone that's authorized). This is not a biggie for most people, however, the VT3 is much more complicated than most other speakers since it uses controllers, multiple drivers,amps, etc... We just serviced a client who bought their VT3's from an unk source... He had a couple of bad drivers that needed to be replaced. It cost him about $325.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hi Joe,

The VT3's are awsome spkrs and sound as good as some 4 times there price. i use VT3's as front and rears and they sound fantastic very detailed.

but yes make sure that warranty is real. because NHT will not honor if the dealer is not authorized by NHT.

speaking from exper.

A good friend of mine started me on NHT's and i will say he di not stear me wrong. i was so happy with my first set of 2.9s that my brother in law bouhgt also a pair fron him. i'am sad'n that NHT will be discontinuing that line of spkrs.

good luck

Carlos:)

·
Banned
536 Posts
Quote:

How do you use a 3.3 as a center channel? Do you angle the speaker so its front face is flat to the listening position?

When I talked to Bill Bush (head NHT engineer) at CES in January, he said that the VT-3 is an upgrade to the 3.3. Basically, when he designed the VT-3, he decided to fix all the things in the 3.3 that bothered him. I wrote it up and it's on:

I install it flat on a stand below my 84X43 Da-Lite screen. The slanted baffled firing slightly upward is perfect for the job. I experimented with a 2.9 and guess what? A 3.3 center works much better with 3.3s main.

For those with a pair of 2.9s looking for a center ch: I am selling my 2.9 for.. $700. Mint condition. No dings. No other center ch speaker will beat that combination.

Esthetically I don't like the VT-3s as much as I like the 3.3s but I 'll probably end up buying a couple pairs anyway

:D :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.