AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was searching for new speakers for my HT, I guess I have sort of run into a problem. I was planning on getting the average two tower speakers, two bookshelves, center channel, and sub. However, through all of my reading, I found that I could use bookshelves for instead of the two towers. So now I am wondering if I would be better off using the money I was going to spend on the towers and just get a better pair of bookshelves. I guess what I am asking is if a average pair of towers would still sound better then a nicer pair of bookshelves.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FWIW, i was originally going to DIY the stands, as I already have access to all the material. So stands are not really a factor.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan9 /forum/post/0

FWIW, i was originally going to DIY the stands, as I already have access to all the material. So stands are not really a factor.

Just as long as you realize that you cannot bury them in some entertainment center and expect best results.

Parts Express has some nice, reasonably priced stands so the may not be a huge savings.

If your handy and not too risk averse. this could be a steal: http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...r701/index.cfm

Good luck.

·
Registered
906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgl /forum/post/0

Generally, yes. But 'bookshelf' is a misnomer, 'stand mount' is more accurate (generally) so you need to factor in the cost of the stand.

I generally disagree. The upper frequences will sound better. If combining with a good sub (properly equalized and crossed over) the higher end monitors will most likely sound much better.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I used to be on the floorstanding bandwagon but recently fell off. ive found imaginf to be better with bookshelfs. i am a firm believer in low bass so there are no speakers capable of the low bass i want. IMO this cancells the whole p[oint of floorstanders all together unless you have a HUGE room. others have told you to consider stand price which is true but also remember you will need a top notch subwoofer.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Apparently I didn't make myself clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barteaux /forum/post/0

I generally disagree. The upper frequences will sound better. If combining with a good sub (properly equalized and crossed over) the higher end monitors will most likely sound much better.

I agree.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yep, don't spend money on really great L+R speakers unless you are into two-channel audio.

DO spend money on a great center channel speaker and a pretty good subwoofer.

Also, DO make sure that your L+R+C speakers are from the same manufacturer and are intended for use together. As an example of small L+R speakers paired with a very good center channel speaker, look at the Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 1000 speaker system (and imagine upgrading the center channel speaker to their model C/L/R 2200).

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.