AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been looking at louvered lighting options for in-wall perimeter walkway lighting for a while now, but kept coming up empty due to cost associated with going LED low voltage (transformer) and heat associated with conventional bulbs.

Yesterday, by chance, I was doing random Christmas shopping at Target and needed to pick up an outdoor flood bulb. In the lighting aisle, they had Energizer brand 120v AC plug-in LED louvered floor lighting with light sensors built-in. They are about 2" x 4" in size and stick out about an inch from the wall. The louvered faces are plastic, which I was willing to overlook, due to the price ($5.99 each), and they come in silver or white. I ended up buying two for my back wall to give them a trial run. For $12 total, what did I have to lose? I went with the silver ones, since they were more of a matt finish, knowing I'd have to paint them to match my colors anyway.

When I got home, I unpacked them and gave them a trial run to see if they'd work as intended, and was impressed at how much light the two little LEDs in each unit put out. In fact, they were strong enough that I had to make a small tin foil reflectors to ensure that excess light was kept totally off my projection screen. No heat to speak of either. The faces were easily painted using Krylon fusion as a base coat. I painted mine oil rubbed bronze to match my fixtures, switches, and outlet covers. The finished product is quite nice. They turn off when my lighting comes up more than half way, and otherwise are always on, which isn't a big deal, since they consume hardly any energy. It's also nice not having to walk into a dark room now!

If anyone is interested and wants to see how the completed units turned out, let me know and I'll get pics up. I looked at Target's website, but didn't see them.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Pics please.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I bought a pair of these a few months ago. The light sensor is not very sensitive, so it takes a fairly bright room to get them to turn off.

In addition, they put out a lot of light horizontally off to the side, almost as much as they direct down. It ended up spilling onto the screen. I ended up using them as hallway night lights.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Are these more or less what you're talking about? They're GEs, but they sound about the same. I bought them for the theater, but decided they put out too much light for the outlet locations and moved 'em to the baby's room. I got these at Sam's, but I've seen them at Walmart, and I seem to recall seeing them in Target once upon a time as well.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j /forum/post/19607535

I bought a pair of these a few months ago. The light sensor is not very sensitive, so it takes a fairly bright room to get them to turn off.

In addition, they put out a lot of light horizontally off to the side, almost as much as they direct down. It ended up spilling onto the screen. I ended up using them as hallway night lights.

Agreed, the light sensor does take a fair amount of lighting to get them to turn off. The packaging says they were intended to be night lights, but if you have dark rooms, like a light controlled theater, they will stay on the majority of the time. The light spillage takes some trial and error, but can be dealt with using tin foil reflectors. I cut mine in an upside down u shape to prevent the side light spillage and eliminate the highest louver from casting the light straight out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defrederickjr /forum/post/19607609

Are these more or less what you're talking about? They're GEs, but they sound about the same. I bought them for the theater, but decided they put out too much light for the outlet locations and moved 'em to the baby's room. I got these at Sam's, but I've seen them at Walmart, and I seem to recall seeing them in Target once upon a time as well.

Similar, but the GE ones are definitely larger than the Energizer ones that I picked up. Mine only take up the bottom half of the outlet. I'll try to get some pics up tonight. Tried last night, but the camera battery was dead.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Looks like the product was not adopted by energizer and therefore probably is being dumped by the manufacturer . I can find only one reference to the model # NLPLVCN which includes it on a list of nightlights approved for use in Canada by EverReady but they don't have it on their site either. Information from Energizer and EverReady's website would indicate their products are solely battery operated so I'm betting the decision was made to keep their products within that domain after the feelers went out. Too bad as it looks like something I could use.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I need a light that I can hardwire into my riser. Any good ideas that won't cost a ton?

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,118 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Yeah, there are dozens of vboth types out there. I saw similar ones on the Home Depot site. However, I stand by my earlier statements about light coming out the sides. I took another look last night and the issue is that the led is mounted high and forward. It isn't easily plugged cracks spilling ther light, it is the design of the louvers. Masking it would either require a large ugly external blinder flap, or would require taking it apart and masking from the inside. Not worth it in either case. Good for a hallway nightlight, but not much else.

DC's examples are the right answer and there are dozens of styles to choose.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.