AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I had to return my BB rentals to the store today (get 3 free rentals) and for 20 minutes I wandered around and couldn't find anything I either haven't seen, didn't own or didn't want to watch.

I ended up with these 3 movies and to tell the truth I've never heard of any of them.

Are any worth the time?

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
I've senn Night Listener, it's barely worth the time, but it's short.

It really lacks suspense, or a climatic end. Could had been a better movie based on the material they had.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I enjoyed The Protector also. I thought it was much better than Ong-Bak. I must have said aloud "holy sh--" about 7 or 8 times because some of the fights were just ridiculous (in a good way). In Ong-Bak, the elbows and knee drops got repetitive by the end. The Protector entertained me all the way thru.

The Protector opens with a beautiful, but simplfied, display of Thai culture and its relationship with elephants. It sets up Tony Jaa's mission to retrieve the elephants. Once he gets started, he opens up a can of Muay Thai. Johnny, one of the villians, was an impressive fighter also. The dude with the dreadlocks was very flashy but I don't think his flips would be of any use in a real fight. He looked like he walked off the set of "You Got Served", the breakdancing movie. The trailer highlights some of the fight scenes but there's plenty more. What I wasn't crazy about was the story. I don't mind that it takes a backseat to Tony and merely connect him from one fight to the next. But if someone could weave a story with substance and higher purpose, if could really be something special. A guy goes into town to look for some stolen property and beats up 100 guys along the way is a little.....simple. Tony's character too is simple. He's has a certain childish quality, and is limited to "Where's my elephant?". The guy I'm sure has charisma cuz he does smile in the outtakes. Nevertheless, it will be interesting to see what he comes up with next.

The video was ok. The audio is blah. Mostly a three front channel presentation.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Eldridge /forum/post/0

The Protector (aka Tom Yum Goong) is great. Don't watch the cut US version though. Watch disk 2 which is the international uncut version.

I wonder which version BB has on it's 2 disk, I found the movie editing to be disjointed. I felt as if I was watching a Uwe Boll flick. Did not like it at all, where as I loved Ong Bak.

I did watch it in DTS Eng/Thai in hopes that would help but it was the video editing that really did in this movie for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.