AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've never seen this one, 2D or 3D. I'm a bit skeptical too based on the weirdness off the characters etc. but since it's 3D I'll proly bite. So is it a halloween movie or a christmas movie? Or both?

·
Registered
52 Posts
My assessment of the 3d is also only OK. However, the picture quality is good on the 3D version and it's plenty bright for what is a pretty dark movie. There's also some cool 3D effects in some of the montage scenes.

The 7.1 audio is excellent.

I can recommend the movie if you're a fan and didn't have the original Blu-ray release. If you already have the Blu-ray, I'd suggest waiting until it comes down from its $30 plus price.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers /forum/post/20885143

I've never seen this one, 2D or 3D. I'm a bit skeptical too based on the weirdness off the characters etc. but since it's 3D I'll proly bite. So is it a halloween movie or a christmas movie? Or both?

It's both...or neither. Actually, since Disney promotes it at Christmas time then that's the category to place it in. Regardless, it's a unique movie with fantastic songs and story that can be watched and enjoyed at any time.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers /forum/post/20885143

I've never seen this one, 2D or 3D. I'm a bit skeptical too based on the weirdness off the characters etc. but since it's 3D I'll proly bite...

It's Tim Burton so that should tell you exactly how quirky/eccentric/strange/developed/oddball the characters are.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My wife, kids, and I have always loved this movie, bought it on dvd and the ost on cd many years back.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Ok, watched this last night. I was familiar with the 2d version. My initial impressions:

Very good picture quality. I was concerned regarding the 3d transfer with it being (a) a conversion and (b) a fairly dark film overall. There are indeed some dark scenes, particularly during the opening number, but nothing that "swallowed up" the background or caused detail to be lost.

I was also impressed with the conversion, since some post-production 3d I've seen has appeared flat and not lifelike (the so-called "cardboard cutout" or "diorama" effect)... even works which are often touted as very good conversions, like "Alice in Wonderland", suffer from this. My first thought was that since "Nightmare", being stop motion, was essentially already a diorama in motion, it masked this effect, but watching closely I noted that (in most cases) it was simply well-done. Sherical objects appeared spherical and not merely round, etc. Essentially, with a few exceptions (for example the three doors in the forest), objects on screen had presence, and appeared substantial and "fleshed out". The motion was also extremely smooth and fluid, with no choppiness or noticeable flicker, even on my 30hz/eye setup.

That being said, if you are looking for excessive negative parallax or "pop-out", you may be disappointed. This transfer is presented to have depth rather than pop, and even that is sometimes sacrificed when the action occurs against a black or dark background. Only occasional scenes, such as the bats flying past the camera in one shot, really break the screen plane. One thing that does work in the movie's favor is that it was meticulously framed and composed in the first place, and in many cases you'd swear it was shot specifically for 3d. The few instances when objects or characters cross the screen edge or are thrown out of focus (for 2d depth purposes) are fleeting and do not really detract from the 3d experience.

Additionally, in true Disney fashion, all the extras and bonus features were carried over from the Special Edition DVD. Tonight I plan to re-watch "Vincent" and "Frankenweenie"!

In conclusion, in my opinion, definitely deserving of a purchase. I only wish that Disney Rewards had offered a coupon on this one, but still worth the first-day price. My advice: buy this disc!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
glad you posted because even though I'm KINDA interested in it. I mean 3D does influence my purchases. I don't just buy movies I think are bad movies. For instance I skipped Mars Needs Moms recently. But if a movie is decent anyway the 3D is a big bonus. But I like pop out and if it doesn't have much I'll have to think about it.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard /forum/post/20889716

Additionally, in true Disney fashion, all the extras and bonus features were carried over from the Special Edition DVD. Tonight I plan to re-watch "Vincent" and "Frankenweenie"!

Are Vincent and Frankenweenie in 3D? If so, how is the 3D in those?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.