AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going try to listen to both the Golden Ear Aon 3 & Martin Logan 35xt next week if the dealers have them available for listening.

Now, the big question is using stands for the speakers & their pricing. I think that if the speaker stands are much over $100, then it would be better to get either a nightstand or a telephone table for use as speaker stands as they are around 23-25 inches in height.

I wonder if the "carpet savers" would serve similarly to the spikes on regular speaker stands; or are spikes supposed to penetrate the carpet thru to the wood base? Or would I really need to use carpet savers if the nightstand/telephone table doe have "legs" for support.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I'm going try to listen to both the Golden Ear Aon 3 & Martin Logan 35xt next week if the dealers have them available for listening.

Now, the big question is using stands for the speakers & their pricing. I think that if the speaker stands are much over $100, then it would be better to get either a nightstand or a telephone table for use as speaker stands as they are around 23-25 inches in height.

I wonder if the "carpet savers" would serve similarly to the spikes on regular speaker stands; or are spikes supposed to penetrate the carpet thru to the wood base? Or would I really need to use carpet savers if the nightstand/telephone table doe have "legs" for support.
Lol this an April Fools joke question right? Go for the carpet sliders. That way you can move them in for some near-field listening then just give the stands a little kick right from your couch and they'll slide right back in place and out of the way.

On the off chance this is a serious question...you can get decent 24" speaker stands online for under $50. They will come with plastic spikes that will ideally penetrate the carpet and make the stands relatively stable. Heavier metal stands that are hollow and can be filled with sand will of course be much more stable and have less resonance.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a joke. Also, the "carpet savers" are NOT sliders as they have many prongs(?) like bristles so that a piece of furniture's leg doesn't sit on the carpet; even use them for my free-standing bookcases. The carpet savers I've seen are plastic & haven't seen any other type. They look like they may do the same job as spikes.

I've only seen speaker stands advert at the $150 plus range & even at the $499 range; don't know why such high prices except for being of a brand name item for snob appeal.

Nightstands & telephone tables & end tables look more substantial for supporting speakers & not have them topple/knocked over. Also felt that they will be better than counter/bar stools.

I'm coming from tower speakers that weigh 43 lbs & they need to be moved on occasion to get access to the wall plug & whatever with the cable box. The towers are the old Dahlquist DQ-12 with everything original which meant that the stuff holding the woofer should be replaced as they are 25 yrs old (1990). After a certain age, one doesn't have much withal to lift a 43 lb speaker even on occasion as the current tower speakers don't have "handles" like on the DQ-12. The Dahlquist is made up of a wooden woofer base while the mid & tweeter are in a "wire cage" as in open without an enclosure; the "handle" are where the wire cage & wood base meet for lifting.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Ok sorry didn't mean to sound disrespectful. I would put those speakers on some quality stands. You can get the Pangea Audio LS200 stands for $66 on Amazon. Fill them 3/4 full with sand/lead shot/kitty litter and they will be nice and stable and non-resonant.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm all for being creative in coming up with stand ideas. I have 2 Klipsch Heresy II sitting Chinese Garden Stools similar to these as "speaker stands"... and the fact wife loves them is a plus!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts