AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have knowledge if there is a niles app/or going to be a niles app for an iphone/ipod?

Regards

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow, you were asking this question a year ago? Was this about the ICS stuff, or ZR? From what I heard from the Niles rep at the BrandSource Summit, neither is compatible with iPhone. ???

Well, I realized that I was guessing as to her meaning, so I just called tech support. The GXR and the ZR-6 will both give you metadata at the keypad, but the iWare dock for ICS will no longer charge the battery because of Apple's new pin-out.

At least that's what I heard today; it just totally contradicts what I heard 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I may be mistaken, but I think the question is whether there is going to be an iPhone/iPod Touch application that will allow control of Niles multizone systems, essentially allowing an iPhone/iPod Touch to be a wireless keypad. Creston and Sonos, for instance, have such apps. I'm not terribly familiar with the Niles systems, but I don't think they are ethernet capable, which would make an iPhone app rather difficult.

·
Registered
13 Posts
since most (all?) Niles systems are dealer-installed and maintained, and the remote currently needs to be set up by the dealer, and the remote runs 400 bucks, or whatever it is, I'm guessing Niles isn't going to be very supportive of an iPhone app. I can hope, but I'm guessing we won't see one.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztransplant89 /forum/post/16197577

I may be mistaken, but I think the question is whether there is going to be an iPhone/iPod Touch application that will allow control of Niles multizone systems, essentially allowing an iPhone/iPod Touch to be a wireless keypad. Creston and Sonos, for instance, have such apps. I'm not terribly familiar with the Niles systems, but I don't think they are ethernet capable, which would make an iPhone app rather difficult.

I would LOVE to have an iPhone/wifi control of my Niles. And frankly, that is something that can get my Niles kicked out of my 2.0 release of home automation, audio/video distribution. Then again, I have had my Niles for over 7-8 years. It is been a sturdy part of my home collection.

But today is today, and I want/need wifi control from an iPhone. The closest thing I can think of right now would be something that converted the wifi connection to ir to the niles. Something through a Global Cache or other device.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have sat in on several sales and training sessions with Niles reps and techs. The demise of their 'net' card for the ICS system, which would have let you stream local MP3 files to the music system with full meta-data, sent them in an entirely different direction. They are working on something that we should see (fingers crossed) in the 1st quarter of 2010. I hear that there are prototypes running right now. This new black box will take rack space as well as a card slot for the ICS (my guess), so I hope that this at least in theory allows for the possibility for future integration with either the ZR-6 or 3rd party systems. I don't think they have hinted toward universal compatibility, but I think the architecture will be there. Here's my prediction: the 'black box' is going to be an OEM box from SONOS. It only makes sense. SONOS already does everything Niles needs (MP3, iTunes, Pandora, etc...) and since I have heard that it was coming from an existing company that already had a working product, SONOS seems the perfect fit. If that is the case, then we may see the carry-over of the iPhone app for the control of that source. I would not expect but would be pleasantly surprised if they worked some magic to allow an app to control all aspects of the ICS system. Let's see what happens!

·
Registered
101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjeter /forum/post/17812496

I have sat in on several sales and training sessions with Niles reps and techs. The demise of their 'net' card for the ICS system, which would have let you stream local MP3 files to the music system with full meta-data, sent them in an entirely different direction. They are working on something that we should see (fingers crossed) in the 1st quarter of 2010. I hear that there are prototypes running right now. This new black box will take rack space as well as a card slot for the ICS (my guess), so I hope that this at least in theory allows for the possibility for future integration with either the ZR-6 or 3rd party systems. I don't think they have hinted toward universal compatibility, but I think the architecture will be there. Here's my prediction: the 'black box' is going to be an OEM box from SONOS. It only makes sense. SONOS already does everything Niles needs (MP3, iTunes, Pandora, etc...) and since I have heard that it was coming from an existing company that already had a working product, SONOS seems the perfect fit. If that is the case, then we may see the carry-over of the iPhone app for the control of that source. I would not expect but would be pleasantly surprised if they worked some magic to allow an app to control all aspects of the ICS system. Let's see what happens!

Very interesting. I was disappointed that the net-card failed so quickly. If I had to venture a guess, with no specific knowledge, I would guess Escient. Coincidentally, they pulled their Vision series right around the same time. Wild speculation but looking forward to this developing!

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I'm correct that there is NO net card for the Niles unit. I had read recently that it was resurfacing with a different name but same function, i.e. streaming of NAS as well as internet stream from Pandora/Rhapsody/etc. When are the Niles/Crestron guys going to realize this is what people want as well as the future of home audio.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Had a quick email exchange with Niles recently. IM-Net will be re-released in May which I take to mean summer some time by the time it rolls out. Not too much longer!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilesja /forum/post/18277492

Had a quick email exchange with Niles recently. IM-Net will be re-released in May which I take to mean summer some time by the time it rolls out. Not too much longer!

Hmm - July is almost over now, and no official word from Niles on this. Anyone have an update?

I was extremely disappointed that IM-NET was killed so quickly, particularly given that it was a CEDIA finalist for Best New Technology in 2008. I sure hope this new "black box" doesn't fail before launch, too.

·
Registered
675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strulock /forum/post/0

Hmm - July is almost over now, and no official word from Niles on this. Anyone have an update?

I was extremely disappointed that IM-NET was killed so quickly, particularly given that it was a CEDIA finalist for Best New Technology in 2008. I sure hope this new "black box" doesn't fail before launch, too.

Any news or options?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts