AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of Niles Audio ceiling speakers (with pivoting dome tweeters) as part of my HT setup which were installed about 9 years ago and have worked great for me. However, after recently upgrading my receiver/amplifier, I have noticed that one of the ceiling speakers (left/rear) does not play a standard test tone unless the volume on the receiver is turned up. The other ceiling speaker (right/rear) plays the test tone at all volume levels.

I believe I have both surround speakers connected properly to the new receiver. The receiver reports that all is connected properly and test tones are being sent to all speakers (5.1 setup).

Speaking generally, does anyone know what causes a speaker not to respond unless the volume is turned up? Is this an impedance issue? Does the speaker need to be replaced?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Have you tried switching the speaker connections for the two rear channels and see if the problem follows the output channel or stays with the speaker? If it stays with the same speaker, it would take the new reliever receiver out of the equation.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I would first swap the leads for the surrounds to be certain that it is not an issue with your new receiver. (Left surround to right channel, Right surround to left channel.) It would be most logical that the volume control circuit is a bit maladjusted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts