AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually two questions:

1) Does anyone know if either the Harmony 890, Universal (RF remotes), or any other RF remote will control a Niles ICS and Request?

2) Does anyone know what lighting systems these remotes support? Can't find list or user manual on websites?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryh31 /forum/post/9515952

Actually two questions:

1) Does anyone know if either the Harmony 890, Universal (RF remotes), or any other RF remote will control a Niles ICS and Request?

2) Does anyone know what lighting systems these remotes support? Can't find list or user manual on websites?

Thanks

Harmony is not a favorite, but I can give you some tips on controlling ICS with any universal remote. First of all, if your intentions are to control the house music functions of the ICS system, then there are two scenarios. The first is if there is a keypad or touchpanel in the room that you are in with the remote, the second is if you want the remote to replace the keypad in a particular room. In the first case, just learn the functions of the Niles R-8 (I believe that's the model #), and aim at the keypad for control of the zone. You are simply emulating the button presses with IR commands. The second scenario is a bit more involved, as you will need an RF receiver for your remote at the GXR2. Furthermore, since there are no discrete IR codes for each zone, you will have to have a SINGLE keypad dedicated to the zone you want to control plugged in behind the GXR2. We always put ours in racks, so we usually fix the keypads to a few lacer bars so they are secure, then we put an IR emitter on the front where the IR eye is and connect the emitter to the appropriate port on the RF receiver. You now have a virtual wireless controller for ICS via the universal remote. The ReQuest system will respond to IR from the RF receiver just as it would a remote, but I would double check in to the process of controlling via ethernet from the ICS IM-SERVER card AND IR, because I know that with the Escient servers, sometimes an IR command can knock out the serial/ethernet control mode. Good Luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.