AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find a universal remote that is essentially dummy proof. Needs to be easy for kids and wife to operate. An installer has recommended a Niles IntelliControl. Can anyone give me feedback on this unit. Additionally, what should I expect to pay to program this unit.

My equipment consists of a RPTV, 2 dvd's players, CD, VCR. This is in addition to a Rotel Processor and two amps. thanks.

John:confused:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Installers may recommend only what they can provide, or what has the most margin. The IntelliControl, while a very versatile and powerful, seems like overkill for 5-6 devices, and may be unwieldy for children:

http://www.customaudioandvideo.com/w...llicontrol.jpg

I'd recommend a smaller and lighter remote like the Home Theater Master MX-800:

http://www.bluedo.com/images/MX-800t.jpg

Or if you are looking for a touchscreen, the Philips Pronto line can be fully customized with graphics while still being family-friendly and ergonomic.

http://www.bluedo.com/images/TSU-3000t.jpg http://www.bluedo.com/images/TSU-6000t.jpg

All of these have the RF capability that the Niles has, but in a much more compact package. You can program them using a PC, they are all extremely versatile and powerful, and they have legions of fans touting their merits that will agree with me. Plus, the cost is many times less than the Niles. Finally, you can program any of these yourself in just an hour or two, and if you need help, it's just an email or forum post away :D

I'm not disparaging Niles at all, they are terrific products and I myself use several of them in my system. In a system such as yours, I just believe that it's major overkill and not the most family-friendly unit.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I also read somewhere that the msu of the Niles has a nasty habit of freezing up ever so often, which requires a full reboot.

The rf range is not excellent either. I was seriously thinking of acquiring one, however those issues put me off. Also what irks me about this product is that whilst it is apparently quite easier to program, Niles have made the programming kit only available to dealers so that they can charge a healthy fat margin on set-up

·
Registered
657 Posts
Actually the RF range on this piece is usually very good. Usually when you run into problems with RF on the Niles it's the result of too much RF interference from other sources. This can be helped by putting an attenuator on the antenna to "shrink the bubble" thereby minimizing the interference. The Niles MSU also has the ability to do IR routing (important if those DVD players are the same brand) video signal sensing (to determine if a device without discrete codes is off or on) and 12 volt triggers.

We often use this remote for folks who want a foolproof remote. Many people are put off by touchscreens and the Niles is certainly more durable with kids than a Pronto is.

The best thing to do is to go to your installers showroom (with the family) and try each remote. See which one is more comfortable and intuitive to you.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
As a custom installer we carry all 3 of the remote mentioned. I like them all for various reasons.

The Niles is without a doubt the most fool proof of them. However, it is quite expensive compared to the others. The Niles is only sold and programmed by dealers who have completed the Niles training on it. You might find someone to sell you the programming kit if you do some searching and want to program it yourself. Programmed prices $1500+.

The Prontos aren't my favorite for young kids, tevo users or serious channel surfers but great for ease of use. Might need to add another RF receiver if your DVD players are the same brand. Programmed prices $600+ for black and white. Color $1100+. Extra receiver +$100.

MX-800 Easily operated in one hand. Programmed $600+.

MX-600 Easily operated in one hand. Not as flexible as the 800 but still very good. Might not work if your DVD players are the same brand. Programmed $350+.

Hope this gives you some idea of what to expect.

Bob

These are approximations and you should check with your local dealers. I agre that the intellicontrol is a little overkill for your equipment.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Quote:
The Prontos aren't my favorite for young kids, tevo users or serious channel surfers but great for ease of use
- don't know about Tivobut

- I would qualify the kid statement with it depends on the kids. The touch screen is a vulnerability (i.e glass can break) but I my nephews use my pronto all the time to watch what they want (Tape,DVD,TV) and have never had a problem (the oldest is 7 now and has been using it since he was around 4) and they also have a Pronto at home they use.

- as for the surfer, I definitely must object. I consider myself a professional channel surfer usually watching two or three shows at the same time (and so bad at it that hen I watch TV with guests I have to give them the remote since most people just get annoyed), and find the Pronto more then adequate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.