AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several Niles M4KP Multizone Keypads in my home

The keypads hook up to my Niles ZR-4630 via Cat-5 so I can change the source, volume, etc.

I have flashers connected to the amp that allow the Niles to send an IR signal to the other sources. Someone else set up 2 of the sources, now I want to control a 3rd source but don't feel like paying someone to do it.

From doing some testing and playing around, it seems I can't just point the remote from source #3 at the keypad. I think this means I have to use the Niles remote and somehow program it to emit the right IR signals through the flashers to my 3rd source.

My first question is: Am I right that the Niles remote (or something emulating a niles remote) is the only one that can talk via the keypads to the 3rd source?

If so, i have a harmony remote that seems easier to program than the Niles, however I have no idea how to tell the Harmony to talk via the Niles to my 3rd source.

Second quesiton is: Does anyone have ideas or can maybe point me in the right direction for how to program my harmony to do this? I'm currently using a Niles R-4 remote, in case that matters.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yes the system only receives Niles commands that are matched to source device commands in the ZR-4630 unit. The buttons you need to learn a new device are located under a removable cover on the front of the unit. You can disrupt the existing program by touching these, so be careful and read the manual first. A link to the ZR installation manual is attached.

jcmitch

http://www.nilesaudio.com/images/PDF/ZR-4630-manual.pdf

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aha thanks! Let me see if I can figure this out wihout breaking anything.

Is there any way to input the transport codes (or whatever you call the codes that make my 3rd input function via the Niles remote) into the harmony, or would I have to first teach the Niles remote, then use Harmony's learning mechanism?

·
Registered
645 Posts
You need to teach the commands into the Niles ZR system, not the remote. After this is done, then you can learn the Niles remote commands into your Harmony.

jcmitch

1 - 4 of 4 Posts