AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new home pre-wired with 16 gage speaker wire and cat5 control wire to 10 zones. Based on web and limited dealer research, I'm focussing in on the new Niles gear (A4.6Ci Pre and SI1260 Amp) and the new Rotel gear (RMZ1040 Pre and RMB1048 Amp). Any opinions/experience? Any other recomendations instead of these? I can't go as high as the Linn/Creston/etc stuff, but want more than the older Russound/etc stuff. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've been looking between the Niles and empower system. Most of my local dealers have been recommending the Niles which I was all set to get until I saw the empower system. I don't know much about the empower system though so I have to do some more research. I was trying to find something more like a basic version of a Crestron system but not so expensive. I know that probably did not help you much though.

Chad

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The niles stuff is just now shipping after being announced last fall. Maybe not a good sign?? The Rotel stuff isn't officially announced yet, a dealer told me they (1) are more conservative and (2) want to deplete the RMZ955 inventory.

In any case, who/what is empower? Never heard of them, do you have a URL?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hi Paul,

I think the Sonance line might be an alternative. Their 12 zone amp, at least is outstanding-allowing mixing and bridging. Too bad you can't go Crestron, as the audio distribution is really cool.

Thank you very much

Fury

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I'll give all three another look. David - the MRC44 doesn't appear to have the abilityy to cascade units to expand to 8 or 12 zones. Any comment on that capability?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts

Originally posted by David Guill

No, no, you've got to try out the new Xantech MRC44 system. Check www.xantech.com

Dave, I have been eyeing the Xantech. How would you compare it with the Kustom6640, Russound 6.4LCD and the Russound A-Bus? Why is it so superior in your mind? I am still new to this and trying to figure out what I want to do before my house is ready in late Sept. Wiring shouldn't be a problem for me since its all being done now, so I have some flexibility. Having my system choices made would make it simpler though. Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks.

CR

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
I initially looked at that MRC44 model, but you can only have 4 zones and 4 sources. That's a problem if you want to spread and control the music throughout your entire house.

I went with the Kustom 6640 with 6 zones and a 7th master keypad to control all zones.

I like the idea of the Xantech's ability to control any zone from any keypad, the Kustom is lacking that feature.

Also, Unlike Kustom, there is no jack for connecting your paging output of your phone system for whole house paging, and there is no jack for your doorbells, which I dont use anyway.

Additionally, I use the 8 IR jacks to control 8 sources for my Video distribution. The Xantech has only 4 IR jacks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Actually according to the Xantech mrc44 manual (page 42) you can cascade several of these units. You have to purchase an additional AV61 six way amplifier and 793-10 serial control combiner...sounds expensive.

I like the Niles 1260 and A4.6Ci combination...good power and control.

prs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.