AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

hello. first let me start by saying this is my first foray into this type of thing. my experience with wiring up amps/speakers is limited to car stuff and simple 2 channel home audio.

now, that being said, i'll explain my situation:

i recently purchased a New-Old-Stock Niles ZR-4630 receiver. I intend to run the built in AM/FM radio or a satellite tuner as the only source, and all 6 pairs of speakers in one 30x40' room, at a fixed low volume. basically think of this room as a GIANT elevator, playing soft elevator music through twelve speakers in the ceiling, 24 hours a day.

i don't need in-wall controls. i don't need IR emitters. i don't need a "fast food"-esque microphone to speak over.

that being said, do i NEED to purchase a keypad to set this thing up? or will the included remote control do what i need?

any help is greatly appreciated ;)

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
You would have been much better off with a 12-channel amp with a common 'bus' input to drive all of that...

Like this one:

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ma1240a-multi-zone-12-channel-amplifier--300-815

Or just a decent-sized 2-channel amp and an impedance-matching speaker selector...

These Whole House Audio systems are not designed to be operated solely from the front panel. You might be able to join all six zones together so they operate as one, but I think you'll need at least one IR receiver or keypad connected to the system to be able to control it.

There is an IR sensor under the "hidden installer panel", but I doubt that will provide the right functionality for day-to-day control.

Jeff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts