AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Both encoded in VC-1. Should be a negligible difference or no difference with the higher bitrate BD encode. VC-1 was designed to provide primo results at relatively low bitrates. With higher bitrates you'll get diminishing returns quite fast and you're just filling up disc space (not to mention the higher supported bitrate in the BD spec is for MPEG2's sake, not VC-1). If it's encoded properly I doubt you'd even see a difference with a professional display.

Good news though that they're releasing the best for both formats.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight /forum/post/0

Both encoded in VC-1. Should be a negligible difference or no difference with the higher bitrate BD encode.

Good news though that they're releasing the best for both formats.

I tend not to agree with the first statement since this was not a trivial encoding problem as noted elsewhere (lots of strobes).

I do agree with the second statement though.

The interactivety difference is interesting. Is real time multi angle switching another standard DVD feature that HDi fails to deliver?

I am really looking forward to this release though - the show was awesome the night I saw it

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Both discs have TrueHd on them!

Im a collector of NIN stuff.... have been for 10 years, im going to be getting all 3 versions of this release, I cannot wait. I saw this show (from the same tour the disc is from) 3 times!

·
Registered
628 Posts
It sounds like they are making the assumption that the BD looks better because of the higher bitrate. Even the differences between mpeg-2 and VC1 encodes were marginal at best, only noticable on certain shots as slight banding or pixelation (comparing the same transfer using different codecs).

There is no way they look any different unless the HD-DVD bitrate is low enough to cause problems.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0friends /forum/post/0

where do you guys think this would be the best place to get this the day its out? (the cheapest of course)

Im going to be following this release very carefully as I have already since I knew it was coming out... I think Amazon.com is going to do pre orders.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee /forum/post/0

wow, that was a very well done faq and really made it easy to understand without dembing down or being PR speak. Very impressed by this.

If you scroll right to the bottom you'll see Kris Deering helped them with the faq so it's no surprise how thorough and clear it is.

Quote:
Price or release date?

$29.95, February 27.

·
Registered
11,149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmodien /forum/post/0

It sounds like they are making the assumption that the BD looks better because of the higher bitrate. Even the differences between mpeg-2 and VC1 encodes were marginal at best, only noticable on certain shots as slight banding or pixelation (comparing the same transfer using different codecs).

There is no way they look any different unless the HD-DVD bitrate is low enough to cause problems.

No, the BR version will probably look better because of the higher peak bandwidth that BR allows over HD-DVD.

Someone involved in the encoding of this disc explained that they ran into bandwidth limits for the video on HD-DVD due to the complexity of the material being encoded.

·
Premium Member
13,533 Posts

Quote:
If you scroll right to the bottom you'll see Kris Deering helped them with the faq so it's no surprise how thorough and clear it is.

While I did help Rob out a little, he did most of the work and did a great job. Anyone that knows me knows I am a HUGE fan of NIN and have been since the beginning of the 90's so anything I could do to give them a helping hand was going to be done. I gave Rob some pointers and pointed him in a few directions but overall he did an outstanding job on his own. I can't wait to see the finished product on both formats!!

·
Registered
977 Posts
I can't wait for this release. I'm a huge NIN fan and have been looking forward to this since the day that teaser trailer came out.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 /forum/post/0

No, the BR version will probably look better because of the higher peak bandwidth that BR allows over HD-DVD.

Someone involved in the encoding of this disc explained that they ran into bandwidth limits for the video on HD-DVD due to the complexity of the material being encoded.

Before people get down on the HD DVD version, Rob already has posted in his blog that he compared the two releases, and could not see a difference. That being said, he admitted that differences COULD be there, depending on the viewing source and how good the eyes are that are viewing it.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I think this disc will set a standard for future concert releases. Trent always likes to dabble in new technology, as I remember when I first heard he was working on a re-release of the Downward Spiral on both SACD and DVD-A. All of his work on these formats, including the DTS track on the All That Could Have Been concert disc, have been outstanding. I'll be counting down the days until February 27th.

·
Registered
636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapleitez /forum/post/0

Price or release date?

It says 2/27/07 all over the place.

·
Registered
636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFLEX /forum/post/0

Both discs have TrueHd on them!

Im a collector of NIN stuff.... have been for 10 years, im going to be getting all 3 versions of this release, I cannot wait. I saw this show (from the same tour the disc is from) 3 times!

Sigh...same here.
I have four different copies of The Downward Spiral, five different copies of [WITH_TEEH]. I don't want to get the BD release because I don't want to support BD at all, but The Collector (pun intended) in me won't allow me to skip it.

Damn you Trent!

·
Registered
829 Posts
My friends and I saw NIN three times during this tour, and they're stoked that this is coming out. The funny thing is that none of them have any idea about HD-DVD and Bluray, so I figured the best way to demonstrate would be have a party (keg included) to watch the concert on the 27th. Any of you guys in the area feel free to stop by....

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.