AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. This just got complicated. I was deadset on getting XA2, but now Best Buy is offering four free movies INSTANTLY when you purchase the A20 there. That with the 5 free movies send in deal from Toshiba, and you're getting nine movies and an HD DVD player for five hundred bucks. Plus I have a $45 off certificate and who knows, maybe there will be a reward zone deal going on this weekend.

Am I a complete fool to be really considering this? Is the difference between the A20 and the XA2 THAT good to give up four extra movies? Instantly?

Damn Best Buy! In the good way.

(edit) Whoops. Saw the thread for this a few pages down. Sory.

· Registered
1,292 Posts
if you want the best upscaling of old dvds then the xa2 is the only way to fly. the a20 does a god job upscaling though. as for hd dvd performance they're the same. so it comes down to that.

· Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I currently have the Sony 75er and that does a terrific job for these eyes of mine, so if the A20 is even BETTER at upconverting than the Sony, I'll be perfectly fine with it.

Everything I've read on the A20 is that it's barely a step down from the XA2. Plus, four free movies on the spot, not having to wait for shipping, and if I need to take it back, I can...I'm just gonna go for this deal. Screw it. I'm sure I'll be pleased as punch with it.

Friday seems so very far away.

· Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It wasn't in the ad but I would assume not. Besides, it goes for full retail price there. I'm just doing the A20 because it's a pretty decent deal in my eyes and I'm sure the player will blow me away. It'll be my first, so I won't have anything better to compare it to.

· Registered
4,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCFKevin /forum/post/0

I currently have the Sony 75er and that does a terrific job for these eyes of mine, so if the A20 is even BETTER at upconverting than the Sony, I'll be perfectly fine with it.

Everything I've read on the A20 is that it's barely a step down from the XA2. Plus, four free movies on the spot, not having to wait for shipping, and if I need to take it back, I can...I'm just gonna go for this deal. Screw it. I'm sure I'll be pleased as punch with it.

Friday seems so very far away.

I had the Sony and the A2 Toshiba. Both are average scalers at best. The A20 is about equal to these two. The XA2 is a much better scaler compared to these three units.

The A20 is more than a step down from the XA2. It is about 20 steps down. It is the same as the A2 only with 1080P.

· Registered
6,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr /forum/post/0

I had the Sony and the A2 Toshiba. Both are average scalers at best. The A20 is about equal to these two. The XA2 is a much better scaler compared to these three units.

The A20 is more than a step down from the XA2. It is about 20 steps down. It is the same as the A2 only with 1080P.

However, since most people find the A2 to be comparable or better an upscaler than the Oppo, I'd say the above described difference to the XA2 is exaggerated. In any case, the XA2 is clearly the better of the three and among the best available, the other two models being considered merely well above average by most.

· Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, we'll see how it goes when I bring it all home. I'm sure it'll be a little more than above average. After all, this is an HD DVD player. I'm not buying it for standard definition discs. I'm buying it for high definition dics. Simple as that. If SD DVDs look good too, icing on the cake.

· Registered
2 Posts
Long time reader, first time poster.

I too jumped on this deal but it took a little more incintive. I originally planned on the 360 elite with the add-on but I found out that toshiba offers best buy employees a $100 mail in on top of the employee discount. So I just got the A20 for less than $300 after rebate plus the 4 free movies upfront
. As far as the 5 free movies via mail, if I get them great if not i'm not complaining.

I have been dying to put HD material on my 1080P 56" Samsung DLP.

· Registered
76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDStud /forum/post/0

Am I missing something here? I dont think this is a great deal considering the A20 can be bought for roughly $380. You can probably buy 4 movies and still not reach 499.

I did some quick math on the deal and all i can say is... its how you perceive the deal. If you add up the $34.99 movies and think of it as a "discount" then it's a better deal than 4 of amazon's regular priced $27.95 movies. But in the long run your bank account will show hard numbers... $540ish (with tax) or $485ish at amazon.

· Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It ain't enough of a difference for me to turn my nose to it and go online. There's the convenience factor, not having to wait for it to ship, I can take it right back if it's no good or anything, and I'll get four movies at the same time with it. Plus for me I got those sweet reward zone points from the TV, so that's even more off.

So perhaps if I didn't have the certificates, the deal wouldn't be too impressive.

· Registered
76 Posts
i'm starting to notice that amazon's prices on the hd-dvd players are better on the weekends.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.