AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Nine Inch nails frontman, Trent Reznor:

"1.7.09: your gift!

The internet is full of surprises these days. I was contacted by a mysterious, shadowy group of subversives who SOMEHOW managed to film a substantial amount (over 400 GB!) of raw, unedited HD footage from three separate complete shows of our Lights in the Sky tour. Security must have been lacking at these shows because the quality of the footage is excellent.

If any of you could find a LINK to that footage I'll bet some enterprising fans could assemble something pretty cool.

Oh yeah, you didn't hear this from me."

posted by trent reznor at 12:56pm

LINK: http://forum.nin.com/bb/read.php?18,378166 "

+++++++

Basically what Reznor did was allow a group of fans with HD filming equipment to film several shows on his last tour after it was realized for some reason their wouldn't be a traditional home video release from the tour. Apparantly Reznor has also given fans access to other footage and soundboard audio recorded from the tour by the bands own crew. You just gotta download a *lot* of GB's worth of stuff.

Here's an article about Reznor's overall "give-it-away" game plan since he left his old record label:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/15660...urce_band.html

While I think the quality and edge of his (aka Nine Inch Nails) music has slipped in the past half decade in direct proportion to the sheer amount of stuff he's released, there's no denying Reznor's at the absolute forefront of making his work available and fan-friendly in every possible way.

T.B.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer /forum/post/15496954

+++++++

Basically what Reznor did was allow a group of fans with HD filming equipment to film several shows on his last tour after it was realized for some reason their wouldn't be a traditional home video release from the tour. Apparantly Reznor has also given fans access to other footage and soundboard audio recorded from the tour by the bands own crew. You just gotta download a *lot* of GB's worth of stuff.

Here's an article about Reznor's overall "give-it-away" game plan since he left his old record label:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/15660...urce_band.html

While I think the quality and edge of his (aka Nine Inch Nails) music has slipped in the past half decade in direct proportion to the sheer amount of stuff he's released, there's no denying Reznor's at the absolute forefront of making his work available and fan-friendly in every possible way.

T.B.

This isn't some halfass recording of the concerts either. The footage was professionally shot with five camera setups at three different concerts, which is why there is so much footage. The production setup for this tour was stunning, which is why fans were stunned when it was announced a few weeks ago that a deal to have James Cameron's crew shoot the concert in 3D had fallen through, thanks to Universal Music/Interscope/whoever saying no at the last minute. A last second deal was attempted with Reznor financing it all, but there wasn't enough time/tour dates to properly do the 3D thing with Cameron's team, so it didn't happen. But what did happen might eventually result in a product that is far superior to the Beside You In Time release, assuming the right editor acquires the footage.

By the way, there was absolutely no slip (pun not intended) in the edge and quality of Year Zero and Ghosts, which were back to the level of previous releases after the safe release that was With Teeth.

·
Registered
779 Posts
THAT was the surprise he was talking about?! Given that this is Trent we're talking about, I expected something pretty cool... but WHOA - not like this! This is amazing!

All the better, if there really is to be no commercial DVD/Blu-Ray 'Lights in the Sky' release. I see the potential for this new approach to surpass the quality of the 'Beside You in Time' release, and that's saying something (IMO, it's one of the best concert discs I've ever seen).

*follow-up edit*

I wonder if this will end up getting compiled onto physical media in some way -- I'd sure find it easier to buy a Blu-Ray disc than to download multiple GBs on my lowly 1.5Mbps internet connection...

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlniec /forum/post/15498239

THAT was the surprise he was talking about?! Given that this is Trent we're talking about, I expected something pretty cool... but WHOA - not like this! This is amazing!

All the better, if there really is to be no commercial DVD/Blu-Ray 'Lights in the Sky' release. I see the potential for this new approach to surpass the quality of the 'Beside You in Time' release, and that's saying something (IMO, it's one of the best concert discs I've ever seen).

*follow-up edit*

I wonder if this will end up getting compiled onto physical media in some way -- I'd sure find it easier to buy a Blu-Ray disc than to download multiple GBs on my lowly 1.5Mbps internet connection...

I'm sure it will find its way onto physical media (and be available at the cost of the recordable media and shipping through certain fan organized channels), but no official release will happen, as it appears Trent has no desire to try to involve the studio again.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Can't blame him for that. After my previous post, I went and actually read the thread at the NIN.com forums -- sounds like some industrious folks are already at work on this. Awesome! The completist in me dreams about how cool it'd be to look/listen through all that raw footage. But realistically, I'm probably just going to wait until it's been edited/sync'd/encoded into a (relatively) bite-size form.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts