AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 20, 2004--An unprecedented approach to video game play -- holding two separate game screens in the palm of your hand -- hits the scene later this year when Nintendo introduces a new portable game system, code-named Nintendo DS.

From information made available today, players can look forward to being able to manage their game progress from two different perspectives, enhancing both the speed and strategy of the challenge. For example in a soccer game, users can view the whole game on one screen while simultaneously focusing on an individual soccer player's tackle or goal on the other screen.

Players will no longer be forced to interrupt game play to shift perspective, such as moving from a wide shot to a close up, or alternating between a character's ongoing battle and a map of the environment. Nintendo DS makes it possible to perform the tasks in real time by simply glancing from one screen to the other.

Today's announcement is but a glimpse of the additional features and benefits that will be shown in full at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles in May. Once fully revealed, players will see innovative advances in game interaction.

"We have developed Nintendo DS based upon a completely different concept from existing game devices in order to provide players with a unique entertainment experience for the 21st century," explains Satoru Iwata, Nintendo president.

Nintendo DS features two separate 3-inch TFT LCD display panels, separate processors, and semiconductor memory of up to 1 Gigabit. It's scheduled to launch worldwide before the end of 2004.

In addition to Nintendo-developed software, the company is in discussions with third-party game developers around the world.

Nintendo DS will be marketed separately from the company's existing Nintendo Game Boy(R) Advance portable system and Nintendo GameCube(TM) home console.

The worldwide leader and innovator in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its popular home and portable video game systems. Each year, hundreds of all-new titles for the best-selling Game Boy(R) Advance and Nintendo GameCube(TM) systems extend Nintendo's vast game library and continue the tradition of delivering a rich, diverse mix of quality video games for players of all ages. Since the release of its first home video game system in 1983, Nintendo has sold more than 1.8 billion video games globally, creating enduring industry icons such as Mario(TM) and Donkey Kong(R) and launching popular culture franchise phenomena such as Metroid(TM), Zelda(TM) and Pokemon(R). A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Western Hemisphere

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Martin
Interesting...
Odd was my thought. Fighting the XBox and PS2 in the living room, (We hope) preparing to fight the PSP on the go.. and they fragment their resources into a third device?

Of course dual CPU, lots of memory.. this could be the device they plan to combat the PSP, which Sony claims will be just as powerful as the PS2 (making it one HELL of a handheld).

·
Registered
700 Posts
I like the idea. But I think the dual screen thing would only work for a couple of gametypes, namely RPGs and Strategy games. Using it for a soccer game would be quite tough. Sounds expensive though with "dual" everything, and it sucks there isn't going to be backwards compatibility. I guess we'll have to wait for E3 to find out more.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Dave, thanks for the post.

Well, it's about 100 times better than what I was expecting (like a N64-shaped Wavebird or something). This is definitely good news and proof of their ability to innovate. I knew they would fit a connectivity concept in there somehow...

Shawn

·
Registered
254 Posts
no frank, it's NOT meant to "combat" the PSP, here is the proof.

http://www.reuters.com/printerFrien...storyID=4172978

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nintendo Unveils Dual-Screen Portable Game Unit

Wed January 21, 2004 01:18 AM ET

By Ben Berkowitz and Daisuke Wakabayashi LOS ANGELES/TOKYO (Reuters) - Nintendo Co. Ltd., after months of hinting it would roll out a new game product in 2004, on Wednesday took the wraps off Nintendo DS, a portable video game system with two screens, one above the other.

Nintendo had been expected by industry players to offer some sort of new handheld product this year to compete with Sony Corp's PSP, an advanced handheld gaming device set for launch by the end of the year. Sony already dominates the console games market with its PlayStation 2.

"We're not trying to take on PSP, because this machine will be completely different than anything that exists right now," said Nintendo spokesman Yasuhiro Minagawa.

The company said it would hold back most details on the new product until the games industry's Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles this May, but said it has already begun talks with game publishers around the world about developing software for the new device.

Industry watchers also expect Sony to show off the PSP at the Los Angeles E3 games show.

Sony's PlayStation guru Ken Kutaragi has said the PSP will be the "walkman for the 21st century" and it will play not only games, but music and movies as well. He has said it will not feature a phone function like Nokia's N-Gage.

The new Nintendo unit will feature two three-inch liquid crystal display (LCD) screens, dual processors and up to one gigabit of semiconductor memory.

It is scheduled for launch by the end of this year and will be marketed alongside the company's GameCube home gaming console and Game Boy Advance handheld device, Nintendo said.

Nintendo, the developers of legendary games such as Super Mario Brothers and Donkey Kong, controls almost the entire portable game device market with its Gameboy series. It forecasts global sales of 20 million Gameboy Advance units this year.

"Chances are, knowing Nintendo, the new unit will be very price competitive and it will be marketed for universal use, so the kids will love it as well," said Hiroshi Kamide, analyst at KBC Securities.

Nintendo said the dual screens on the new game machine would let players see the same game from two different perspectives, or see game action on one screen while looking at a map of the game environment on the other.

The game system's dual processors will be based on chip designs from British semiconductor firm ARM, a leading designer of microchips for mobile phones and handheld computers.

The new game system comes after a series of price cuts stimulated a more than 70 percent year-on-year rise in holiday sales for the GameCube.

The Kyoto-based game maker said it would easily achieve a global sales target of six million GameCubes for the full business year, easing some market concerns about the feasibility of that goal after it sold only 890,000 units in the six months to September 30.

Nintendo plans to unveil nine-month sales figures for the GameCube and Gameboy Advance when it unveils quarterly results on January 29.

After the announcement, shares of Nintendo hit an intraday high of 10,180 yen. The stock closed up 0.4 percent at 10,100 yen, versus a 0.91 percent fall in the Nikkei 225 average.

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm a sucker for new toys. This device certainly has a TON of potential. Imagine a Metroid game where one LCD has the classic Metroid perspective and the other has the first person "Prime" perspective. There are just so many cool things you could do :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
^^^

ditto, but I'm thinking it will be used in much different ways. I beleive the article was just stating that example so we can understand in terms relative to how we play games now. but I hope this changes a lot more than his and your suggestion. a LOT more. only time will tell. my interest is very peeked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It'll be interesting to see how well it works in the real world. I'm sure in the Nintendo labs it's great, but it could be horrible for most people to use.

Then again it could be really cool. We'll just have to wait and see.

Nonetheless, It's exciting to see Nintendo doing new things no one has done before.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gameboya
^^^

ditto, but I'm thinking it will be used in much different ways. I beleive the article was just stating that example so we can understand in terms relative to how we play games now. but I hope this changes a lot more than his and your suggestion. a LOT more. only time will tell. my interest is very peeked.
Don't you mean ALLOT?!

I kid!! :D

·
Registered
512 Posts
nah, like you reaper, I think I realized I'm not much of a mobile gamer. who knows though, it is nintendo so they may pull it off...

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
"Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President, said: "We have developed Nintendo DS based upon a completely different concept from existing game devices in order to provide players with a unique entertainment experience for the 21st century".

This sounds remarkably like the comments out of Nintendo when the Virtua Boy was released. While it certainly was "unique", it did not exactly make for interesting gaming.

A $150 portable GC would have been more interesting . (IMO)

·
Registered
254 Posts
yeah but frank that means that you would still be PLAYING the same gba games, with the same similar experiences. it's quite obvious they are trying to break the mold and offer something different, and possibly something different for developers as well.

and imo gc is pretty damn portable as it is, you can get a screen for it as well as a battery etc.. i just dont think it's possible to shrink the gc hardware into something the size of say the gba or a little bigger, we just aren't there yet.

·
Registered
846 Posts
If you don't like the current GameCube, why would you want a more expensive portable one?

People think they want 3D portable gaming, but it's not the way to go IMO. 3D doesn't translate well onto a small screen. In fact, that's where I think the PSP will run into problems. Sounds good on paper, but...

Shawn

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good point Shawn. I know there are talks that the PSP is getting the PS2 level of performance, but I just don't understand what the big deal is? Who cares if you have these nice high res graphics if it's on a small screen where you can't appreciate it.

I'm reserving judgement on the PSP and the DS until I can see them in action, but from the latest I've heard the PSP will cost between $200-$300 and the games will be priced at $40. That's just too expensive IMO. Plus, having an optical drive and the power the PSP is packing, I hope it has a decent battery life. These are all key things Sony really needs to consider if they want to successfully break into the handheld market.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FrankJ.Cone
"Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President, said: "We have developed Nintendo DS based upon a completely different concept from existing game devices in order to provide players with a unique entertainment experience for the 21st century".

This sounds remarkably like the comments out of Nintendo when the Virtua Boy was released. While it certainly was "unique", it did not exactly make for interesting gaming.

A $150 portable GC would have been more interesting . (IMO)
Funny you should mention the Virtual Boy.

Having played with one these, I think it was way underrated. This was a very unique and fun console. I really enjoyed playing 'Mario Clash' and other games on this system.

I think that the biggest problems with the VB were the fact that everything in the game was red, people associated this device with the Game Boy (i.e. portable) and it was a bit to 'gay' for the baggy pants crowd.

Other then that . . . I found the games to be fairly immersive and fun. It's to bad, really, that more companies don't take chances on these 'new experience' toys.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnPeters
If you don't like the current GameCube, why would you want a more expensive portable one?

People think they want 3D portable gaming, but it's not the way to go IMO. 3D doesn't translate well onto a small screen. In fact, that's where I think the PSP will run into problems. Sounds good on paper, but...

Shawn
Look on the web for Turbographix 16. A sub standard console can make an AMAZING handheld. Handhelds are where Nintendo shines. Third parties FLOCK to them and sales have historically been fantastic.

Ask around and find someone with a PalmPC as well and take a look at how well a PDA can do 3D gaming and then just imagine what the designers of the GBA could do... it would sell by the boatload. (IMO)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.