AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
Yeah, I read that article as well. It is certainly an interesting idea. Again, I can't say I will be disappointed until I actually see the thing and see games running on it. I just think it's a little premature at this point to say whether this thing will be cool or not when there is so little we know about it. It's cool to speculate what it is, but I'll reserve judgement until I see it in action. This will definitely be an exciting E3, that's for sure.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I remember see this arcade game in the lobby of a movie theater in the early nineties. Very cool technology.

I sure hope this rumor is true. This could be a kick ass concept for a game machine. Very unique.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I played with that arcade game at a major amusement park. It basically was just like Dragon's Lair. It ran on a laserdisc and was projected. It wasn't a very good game either.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I can think of couple of ways that Nintendo could theoretically achieve 3D on their system. But, to be honest, I'm not holding my breath as none of the techniques I know of would be very usable in a hand-held game playing environment where the system is jostled around continuously. Plus, I'm not convinced that there's any advantage to having stereoscopic imaging on such small screens. However, I'm still not ruling out the possibility (or hope) since I would love to see it anyway.

Shawn

·
Registered
700 Posts
if you read the press release regarding the DS is talks about how the two screens would be used. The example they gave was close up action in a soccer game on one screen, and overview of the field on another.

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
bapenguin,

You're right, that's what Nintendo said in their press release. Let's be realistic here though....Nintendo isn't going to reveal the ace up their sleeve just yet. I'm sure the 2 alternate views for a sports game is merely scratching the surface of what Nintendo intends to do with the DS. They had to release something to the press about why the need for the screens, and I'm sure they felt that was a legitimate one. But, I'm willing to bet Nintendo has some pretty cool things in mind for the 2 LCDs....possibly something with 3D. Nintendo is notorious for keeping things secret until the last possible minute. I expect most of us to be fairly suprised once we see the DS in action and with what Nintendo had in mind :)

·
Registered
700 Posts
Quote:
Simply speculation just for the fun of it, but could Nintendo's insistence that this machine is a 3rd pillar be a veiled hint at 3d functionality?

Very intriguing.
Oh jeez. It's a damn video game system, not some 3rd coming of some mythological god.

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
Well, I don't think the hype Nintendo is giving this is any different than the hype that Sony gave the PS2 or MS gave the XBOX. I'm not so sure if the 3rd pillar comment is hinting at 3d or not. I think Nintendo just wants most people to know that they expect this device to be able to sit along side the Gameboy and Gamecube hardware. Many people are insisting that the DS is a new type of Gameboy and Nintendo is reiterating to people that it's not and is something completely different from Gameboy.

I guess more news has been released about the DS. It's rumored to have wireless LAN play. Also, rather than standard cartridges, the DS will make use of thin card-type media. Apparently, this form of media uses a new type of semiconductor whose production cost is close to that of optical disk (DVD, CD, etc.). And it will use a rechargable battery like that in the GBA SP.

·
Registered
254 Posts
there was some news from someone inside of sharp saying nintendo has been working with them on the 3d technology screens that do this. weather or not this is completely accurate is beyond me. it will be interesting (hopefully) none the less. E3 is just too far away, NEED MORE INFO NOW!! ;)

·
Registered
547 Posts
I hope this turns out well for Nintendo. Right now it really sounds like a crappy idea in my opinion, what with the SOny handheld coming (and looking sweet) Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but I dunno. We will see! 3D seems like a no brainer to me, they can only keep pushing the GBA 2D for so long, even though I like the GBA 2D simply because it has helped give up games like Metroid Fusion etc, which wouldn't have seen the light of day on the gamecube...... I guess>?

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Crown of Iron

crappy idea in my opinion, what with the SOny handheld coming (and looking sweet)
You've seen what the PSP looks like? Can you share a pic with us? What do the games look like on this thing? Sigh...the only pic I've seen of the thing is the concept pic....and I wasn't too impressed with it. The specs sound pretty sweet and all, but we all know that specs don't make the system, it's all about the games. :confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.