AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendo Revolution wins the next-gen wars!!

4K views 54 replies 16 participants last post by  price3 
#1 ·
#52 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone
There is no evidence that Nintenodo ever made a DIME on the Gamecube. They paid IBM and ATI to design the technology, paid for marketing on a system that sold 20ish million or less consoles.

They claimed to be making $$$ at $199 and then dropped to $149 and finally $99. Given how few consoles were sold its unlikely the price of components dropped by 50%.

Trailing FAR behind the compeition with third party sales means low royalties and if you add up their first party hits you come in under Halo 2's sales. Add in $$ spent for exclusive flops like the RE series and you have a console that represented quite an investment for 10 million less units sold than the N64.

Now of course Nintendo is profitable, they have the number one handheld ever. Without the GBA line the GC would have sunk Nintendo. Much like MS could survive off its Office income Nintenodo can survive from its GB series income and Pokemon income. Pokemon alone has resulted in 15 BILLION in sales in its 10 year lifespan, probably even more than the GB series.

Just as you like to spin it and say that there's no evidence that Nintendo made a dime, you can equally say that there's no evidence that says they didn't make a profit off the system.

Yes, the GBA line is definitely the cash cow for Nintendo, but that's not to say that they didn't make any money off the Gamecube. Nintendo claimed to be making a profit on the hardware at $149 as well. That's just the hardware, not even taking into account software sales.

Sure, low third party sales means less royalties. High first party sales means lots of profit. Nintendo is the only company that could survive on just first party sales alone.

Not sure what exclusive flops you're talking about. If memory serves me correct, both RE0 and REmake sold over 500k just in the US. RE4 also sold past 500k copies in the US as well. In this day and age, that's considered a success. Even Capcom was touting those sales numbers with RE4 in press releases. Who knows how much money Nintendo spent on these games, but the only "exclusive" one was RE0. I'm guessing if Nintendo/Capcom had some agreement about RE4, that the money was refunded to Nintendo when Capcom announced the PS2 release of the game before the GC version even came out.

Nintendo is considered to be one of the smartest companies in the world. Chances are if the Gamecube was a money pit, Nintendo would've gotten out of it.

#53 ·
Quote:
Nintendo is the only company that could survive on just first party sales alone.
Sorry, but I don't believe this one bit. Like you said, there's no concrete proof that gamecube was/is even profitable, so while there's no clear way to prove/deny your quote, I just can't see this. And if they go this way next-gen, I think they'll get even worst market share. It may work on handhelds, but not home consoles, IMO.

Quote:
RE4 also sold past 500k copies in the US as well. In this day and age, that's considered a success.
I guess it depends on their expectation, but 500k seems awfully low for such a high profile game! And don't you think that announcing the PS2 version even before the GC game was released, proof that Capcom was predicting less than stelar results?

#54 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waters_10
Sorry, but I don't believe this one bit. Like you said, there's no concrete proof that gamecube was/is even profitable, so while there's no clear way to prove/deny your quote, I just can't see this. And if they go this way next-gen, I think they'll get even worst market share. It may work on handhelds, but not home consoles, IMO.
You're right, although the handhelds to seem to enjoy robust and consistent first and third party support...why that can't happen on Nintendo's consoles anymore is beyond me.

Quote:
I guess it depends on their expectation, but 500k seems awfully low for such a high profile game! And don't you think that announcing the PS2 version even before the GC game was released, proof that Capcom was predicting less than stelar results?
You can count on it.

#55 ·
Jeez Q, I was just stating why _I_ was getting a revolution after having written it off earlier. The research I did was all stuff you guys already know, because I basically knew nothing about it. I wrote off nintendo after being disappointed with the N64 and gamecube. I do think, however that the new controller is inspired and will tempt people who are intimidated by all the buttons etc. on the xbox/ps3 controllers to give the N a try. In the same way DDR type games have become so popular, I expect this new control method to really break out. Imagine a sword fighting game where you actually move the sword around! Easily possible with this new setup. Tons of things no one has thought of before will be considered. Also the 149-199 price was just a guess, I never expected people to think I knew stuff they didn't. In my opinion though, anything much above 199 is too close to the other systems pricing. At 199 the nintendo is almost an impulse buy just to try it out.

added 2/23/06 - quoted from an ign article -

"Every studio insider we queried said that they believed Revolution could launch for under $200, and possibly as low as $150 - a figure that would amazingly put Nintendo's new console at a price point hundreds of dollars cheaper than any competitor."

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.