AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the NMB Fans last night in my 1030Q1 and I am very impressed. A whole new experience watching movies without the distracting fan noise.

RODERPLEX

·
Registered
153 Posts
How difficult was it to install those fans?

You need to remove the original fans, right? Will the NMB fans fit in the slots of those old fans?

Thanks

·
Registered
283 Posts
Piece of cake installing these fans. Yes, you have to remove the old fans. Just go to the eboystoyz website and follow Larry's instructions. These fans come with a three-wire harness; just use the red/black wires and wire them into the red/blue wires of the 1031Q. I also took out the metal tube spacers used in the stock fan. They would likely rattle in the new NMB fans (which are slightly taller). The fans fit perfectly length/width-wise. No problems. My wife still can't believe how quiet the projector is.

Dan

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Anyone have a URL to a source that has the best price on there fans? How do they compare to the best that Papst has to offer? The Papst fans are just so damn expensive!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Here's the Papst fan...

http://www.directron.com/papst8cm.html

19.4CFM to the NMB's 18CFM

and

12dBA to the NMB's 18dBA

More airflow and less noise.

Oh yeah, and $15 to NMB's $2.50 :D

Anyone know the specs on the standard issue fans? I thought they are 26 or 28dBA. I have no clue what the airflow is. :confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I purchased the fans from the SVC link above. Ordered on a wednesday and received on saturday. Very quick. For $2.50 each, I believe that it is a no brainer decision. Pretty quiet for the money. Easy to install. Has someone actually compared the Papst vs the NMB side by side?

RODERPLEX

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wow. I just installed the NMB fans. I can't believe the difference...my wife is impressed, too.

Highly recommended.

Kris

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Good. I think I'll be replacing fans soon. I'd be interested in knowing how the Papst fans compare with the NMB fans in practice. Both sound like giant leaps over the standard fans. Literally.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just replaced the fans in my 1030Q1 with the NMB fans - wow!!! What a difference! The new fans are so quiet! I cannot believe the difference!!! Thanks for alerting me to this mod. I also took out the on-board speakers so that more air can circulate.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
okay i,m sold, the fans in my 1031q are akin to a f-18 hornet positioning for takeoff on a carrier someplace, extremely distracting to say the least so we,ll give it shot and see what happens...............

·
Registered
153 Posts
Be careful when removing the old original fans. When you unscrew the screws holding the old fan onto the metal bracket, there are copper-colored metal tube spacers within which the screws fit. These could fall out and cause shorts inside the projector. So, hold them with your fingers as you unscrew the screws. You will not need them when you put the new fans on. See the post by danieljoelle above.

You will not believe the difference it makes! The projector is really quiet!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
they have several different models posted there, the one that looks pretty close is the 80x25mm 32.5cfm/28.3db is that the model you guy,s installed?..............

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Looks like they removed this fan from their site. Must have sold too well.

Marc

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
well they have these models ,

60x15mm

60x25mm

70x15tmd

80x25mm

80x38mm

92x38mm

92x35mm

120x25mm

120x38mm

just was wondering which model it was so i don,t get the wrong one , i don,t understand your answer to the question marc................

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, here is the info from my order to that site:

============================================================ =================================

Name Code Qty Each Options

--------------------------------------------------------------------

80x25mm NMB Ultra Quiet C3110KL-04W-B19

3-pin Fan

(Shipped)

Subtotal 11.00

Shipping 6.25

Tax 0.00

Total 17.25

I ordered five of them, so cost was 2.20 each

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
okay thanx for the info nandkumar, will check it out...............

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
hey , tinman the fans must be popular , looks like they got more in,if you go to the site and look at the page where the various models are listed the 80x25mm32.5cfm/28.3db fans are clearly posted , so i don,t know what page you,re looking at....................

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anyone like to hazard a guess if these will work in an NEC XG? Havn't found a source in the UK yet, but must be available as NMB have an office in the UK.

Mike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.