AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone getting any audio from the .1 feed of the 5.1 in Alias tonight? I haven't gotten any audio from it for two weeks now. I called my local affiliate and they say everything is operating correctly. I get the 5 part of the 5.1.

Patrick

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by patrickhurt
Was I the only one who noticed this last night?

Patrick
Possibly. I was way too wrapped up in the story to worry about minor technical glitches.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by szar
Thought the sound was fine. I thought the ending was a little weak.
Weak???

Head scratching, to be sure, but definitely continuing the mantra of this show which is: anything goes....

I thought it was startling, and what a great fight scene!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Quote:
Re: No .1 in Alias tonight?
Who is No .1?

You are, No 6.

Oops, wrong spy show.

·
Registered
446 Posts
hated the fight scene. I don't understand how she can kick the crap out of 250 pound guys but can not take the 130 pound room mate. I think it was a little to inconsistent. I did like the ending though, If you are guessing then you will be back next year.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Patrick, I get my ABC from KATU in Portland, OR and there has been a definite lack of .1 recently. I have Bass Shakers under my couch so it's very evident when there is no LFE being put out.

During Gladiator in the opening fight scene, there was barely a rumble. The DVD showing the same scene practically makes my couch lurch across the room.

·
Registered
89 Posts
well, no .1 is better than the full 5.1 popping every half a second. Gladiator was unwatchable in portland, oregon.

Alias is on ABC right?

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by iodsnips
well, no .1 is better than the full 5.1 popping every half a second. Gladiator was unwatchable in portland, oregon.

Alias is on ABC right?
Right.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
The .1 is not important (unless they are depriving you of .1 sound information that comes from ABC) . The other 5 channels are all full range.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have full range speakers for all 5 channels. The explosions in Alias were not as "real" without the sub channel. Would you want to watch Jurassic Park without the .1?

Patrick

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
It's not a sub-woofer channel! It's the low frequency effects channel. It's up to your decoder & amplifier to get the sound from all the channels routed properly to all of your speakers.

All of the channels are full range, so you can get the same effect without the LFE channel.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Even Dolby calls the .1 the subwoofer channel at times. All of the channels are not full range (the .1 isn't).

ron

·
Registered
440 Posts
Quote:
All of the channels are full range, so you can get the same effect without the LFE channel.
Ask the people who had the LFE bug with the onkyo receiver if you can get the same effect without the LFE. (search the forums for this topic)

I originally had my setup incorrect in which I didn't have the .1 of the 5.1. When I got it setup correctly there is a big difference. Yes, you still get bass out of the Subwoofer if the .1 is not pushing, but it's definitely different. To verify just watch the opening scene of Star Wars AOTC without the .1 then watch it with it.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I didn't say you _would_. I said you _can_. Certainly if there is a .1 channel that gets dropped somewhere in the distribution chain, you will be missing all of the information that was in that channel. And certainly if your receiver has poor bass management, it will not sound as good.

But the absence of a .1 channel does not _necessarily_ mean that the program will lack bass or that the sub-woofer will be inactive. It _can_ be just as good without the .1 channel.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.