AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shopping for a new universal upconverting DVD player and it has come to my attention that neither the Yamaha DVD-S1700BL nor the Denon DVD-1930CI (two of the players I am considering) pass 480i over HDMI.

Does this mean I would have to hook up the component cable and optical or coaxial in order to view and hear something that is 480i (such as a home movie)?

If the answer to the above question is yes, would it make more sense then to not buy an upconverting universal DVD player, but instead buy a standard universal DVD player and allow a receiver to handle the upconverting? Doing this would seem to negate the need for both component and HDMI to go from the DVD player to the receiver.

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
For most people, the reason you buy an upconverting player is the ability to upscale and output 720p or 1080i or 1080p. If so, why would you care that you cannot output 480i? Hint: the only reason to output 480i is if you have an expensive external scaler that does a better job than the player or display.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, no. I do not want to output 480i at all. My understanding (which sounds like it was a misunderstanding) was that these players would not output a source that was 480i via HDMI. But I guess you guys are saying that these players will take the 480i source and convert it to say, 720p, before sending it on to the TV.

I thought they could not work with 480i over HDMI at all, my mistake.

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
As stated, all DVDs are 480i on the actual disc. Yes, upscaling players can scale the 480i signal to anything from 480p to 720p to 1080i to (for some players) 1080p, and pass that upscaled signal digitally to the display over HDMI. Some players can output 480i, but that is only needed or desired if you have an external scaler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.