AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tampa, at least, did not transmit CSI and WITHOUT A TRACE with 5.1 audio tonight.:confused:

Just a local problem?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
CBS does not have DD 5.1 for their episodic HDTV programming at this time. The recent Grammys & NCAA Basketball have been the only 5.1 from CBS.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
CBS does not have DD 5.1 for their episodic HDTV programming at this time. The recent Grammys & NCAA Basketball have been the only 5.1 from CBS.
When I posted this thread I recalled a taped episode of CSI that I started to watch on tape, but did not finish (The Comedy Club 4/24/03). I seemed to remember it being in 5.1.

When I read Ken's response, I reviewed the tape. The Tampa station

switched to 5.1 during the introduction (The Who sang in 5.1) and 5.1 remained half way through the first commercial. The station switched back to 2.0 and it appears to stay that way throughout the rest of the episode.

I have not watched CBS for the past few weeks as I have taped their action shows.

So far, I only have about one minute of 5.1 to make my case.

·
Registered
687 Posts
If your station enabled DD5.1 for anything other than the 2 programs Ken listed, they were in error. We have had this problem here in Pgh.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
WLRN-DT (PBS) has DD5.1 enabled for EVERYTHING, including their children's programming. Both my Harman Kardon and my Sony AV receivers show this, though I've yet to hear any sound coming from the surround channels.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Forgive my possible techno-ignorance ... but how can you record 5.1 to TAPE? Are there VCR's with digital inputs, capable of 5.1 sound now?

Or am I missing something more obvious? Just curious.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've read about D-VHS a while ago, but haven't really kept up-to-date on it. Is that what you are using?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by timoteo
Forgive my possible techno-ignorance ... but how can you record 5.1 to TAPE? Are there VCR's with digital inputs, capable of 5.1 sound now?
D-VHS. See the HDTV Recorders Forum for more details.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by timoteo
I've read about D-VHS a while ago, but haven't really kept up-to-date on it. Is that what you are using?
As Ken says, a lot of good info in the HDTV Recorders section. I have Mits and JVC D-VHS recorders.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Glad I found this thread, I was getting ready to ask if anyone had been getting CSI in DD 5.1. I started working nights about 6 months ago and miss CSI now until last week when I got my Samsung T-165 so I can record and I wondered why it wasn't in DD 5.1. My local Nashville CBS station did broadcast CSI in DD 5.1(even though its not true 5.1) and I wondered why I wasn't getting it. That clears my mind now(not that it wasn't already clear ;)

Timoteo,

I use a Samsung T-165 OTA HD Satellite receiver that has a firewire input/output. I connect that to my JVC 30 D-VHS and record 1080i and DD 5.1(when available). Works great.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.