AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow... My brain is leaking out my ears. I read the entire (27 page) post about the problems with the 5670's. No luck with my problem however.

Here is the deal. I have a xfx ati hd 5670, hdmi output, realtek drivers on Win 7 64 hooked to an Onkyo 604. I tested the 5.1 surround using the win 7 Sound section in the control panel. Everything worked. I hear all 5.1 speakers tone. But when I play files in MPC HC, I only hear audio out the front 3 (L, R, Center). I have also tested VLC and WMP. I have installed ffdshow and the ac3filter with MPC HC. I have tried many different combinations using the internal audio mixer in MPC and the external with FFDShow. They are both the 64 bit versions. This is a lot to type.... lol. Still, front speakers only. And yes, I have tested multiple videos including ones I have download specifically made for 5.1 surround systems. Nothing...

HELP!!! : )

Thanks,

Josh

P.S. And if anyone is reading this looking for video skipping issues on HD video sources, TURN ON THE HARDWARE ACCELERATION in mpc and ffdshow. (Was a WEEK before I got that one fixed...)

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have the Sapphire 5670, Win7 x86, 5.1/7.1 playing fine.

A longshot but did you play around with the Windows 7 audio mixer?

exclusive mode enabled

Set to 5.1/24bit/48Khz

Have you tried unchecking "disable all enhancements" on the sound device properties

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I have gone into the Sounds option in the control panel. That is where I tested the surround and found that it does send all 5.1 channels. But when I play any audio files with 6 channels, only the front speakers play.

Not sure why....

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Since the sound test in the control panel works, that means your receiver can properly receive a DD/DTS signal from your computer. Your issue is a) the video source audio or b) a codec you have installed is not configured properly to passthrough DD/DTS. Either FFDShow/AC3Filter or MPC-HC is not configured correctly. I'd focus on them. To help with issues, I'd load a restore point before you installed FFDShow and AC3Filter and then pick the one you'd rather use and reinstall that one.

As a test, have you tried inserting a DVD and using MediaCenter?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Agree as mentioned try with a DVD.

Play the 5.1 file, hover your mouse over the FFDshow tray icon. Does the balloon pop-up show 6-ch input/output or something else?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all. It took forever to figure out but it seems mpc hc internal filters were overriding the ffdshow codec (or whatever.) I didn't notice that the icon was not loading for my specific files. I turned off the internal filters in mpc and walla! 5.1 all around.

Thanks for the replies! That is what gave me the idea to double check that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts