AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

when i run a Blu-Ray disk (Sony S550) on the Onkyo 876 with HDMI (1.3) and the menu of the Onkyo is setup to do Dolby TrueHD when it receives Dolby TreuHD i only get 5 out off the 7 speaker boxes on the display.
Also the audyssey and TrueHD are red on the display.

The two rear boxes stay black, even i have a 7.1 setup

So no box with SBL or SBR active on the display.

This is also the case with DTS-HD.

When i use "last used" it will automatic do Dolby PLIIx Movie.

Also then the two SBL and SBR boxes blank !

What ever i use the two boxes stay blank but i do get sound so thats not the problem.

The Sony S550 has support for the "exotic" 7.1 sound codecs so also there no problems but what is making the Onkyo to leave the two SBL and SBR blank ?

Hope someone has an idea........

·
Registered
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX /forum/post/16998570

Hello,

when i run a Blu-Ray disk (Sony S550) on the Onkyo 876 with HDMI (1.3) and the menu of the Onkyo is setup to do Dolby TrueHD when it receives Dolby TreuHD i only get 5 out off the 7 speaker boxes on the display.
Also the audyssey and TrueHD are red on the display.

The two rear boxes stay black, even i have a 7.1 setup

So no box with SBL or SBR active on the display.

This is also the case with DTS-HD.

When i use "last used" it will automatic do Dolby PLIIx Movie.

Also then the two SBL and SBR boxes blank !

What ever i use the two boxes stay blank but i do get sound so thats not the problem.

The Sony S550 has support for the "exotic" 7.1 sound codecs so also there no problems but what is making the Onkyo to leave the two SBL and SBR blank ?

Hope someone has an idea........

The boxes only light up if the sound track has data on those channels. Older movies are 5.1, so there's no data on the rear surround channels.

The receiver will take the 5.1 and create rear channel material if you set up the receiver to do so. You may also be able to set up your player to output 5.1 as 7.1, in which case the Onkyp receiver will light up all seven boxes. But those boxes only show you what's coming into the receiver.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thats clear.

I thought all DTS-HD and TrueHD would be 7.1 as those formats are created for 7.1 acording to some Internet info.

In what year did DTS-HD and TrueHD started to come in 7.1 on Blu-ray ?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I usually use THX Ultra 2 mode on my old 875 to enable the full 7.1 from a 5.1 source.

Back to original query, the LED indicator shows which channels are in the source signal, not which speakers are active. It is/has been a source of confusion for many. The newer xx7 series seems to have switched to using the LED to show which speakers are enabled (rather thant what is in the source).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts