AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hooked up a 1x4 Gefen HDMI splitter to my HTPC running Window 7. It works pretty well but I just noticed that my HDMI audio will only allow me to select 2 channels. When I hook the HDMI cable back to the receiver, it then recognizes I can do 7.1 and allows for teh options. It apears that teh Gefen has cloned my EDID info exactly as ATI control center reads the input exactly the same weither I have teh Gefen hooked up or i go directly to the reciever. This is annoying. The Gefen can clone any info it sends to it. I must be doing something wrong. I know I cant force my audio drivers to 7.1 from what I read on here, any thoughts? I have the latest Realtek HD audio driver installed (2.29).

specs:

Windows 7 64bit

ATI 4890

Yamaha v1800 7.1 receiver

·
Registered
701 Posts
A lot of the lesser expensive splitters are bandwidth limited due to, quite frankly, cheap design, it's likely you'll never get better than 2 channel PCM through it, you should look into a higher end splitter, I've seen some in the $50-75 range at monoprice that specifically support 8 channel audio.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I would say thats the case for some splitters, however, Gefen is a very good brand and not cheap by any means. Anyway, I think I figured it out. I thought the splitter used the EDID info for monitor #1 all the time, but it turns out it changed EDID info based on what monitor is turned on. So, my reciever would be off and it would change EDID from my 7,1 receiver to another generic monitor that only had 2 channel stereo. I ordered a Gefen EDID detective which forces EDID info always on a specific monitor so I dont have to worry about Windows/ATI detecting new monitor info all the time. I'll let everyone know how it works once I get it. Again, the splitter seems to work well other than that issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.