Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From ABC:

Attention HDTV Affiliates – No HDTV Feed 8/23/05 to 8/26/05

ABC will be upgrading its HDTV release facility including a replacement of the HD router. In order to accomplish this work in a timely manner, a four (4) day shutdown of the HD release facility will be required.

Accordingly, beginning Tuesday 8/23/2005 and continuing through Friday 8/26/2005, ABC will not offer an HDTV feed for either ECM or PT feeds.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Good, hopefully this fixes their incredibly annoying HD sports broadcasts. It doesn't matter if it's football or baseketball their HD broadcasts almost always show transitions from clear to unclear focus. It's the weirdest thing and i've only seen this happen with ABC.

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot
It doesn't matter if it's football or baseketball their HD broadcasts almost always show transitions from clear to unclear focus. It's the weirdest thing and i've only seen this happen with ABC.
That's not an ABC problem. That's a problem with your affiliate. Lots of people were seeing this problem until their local stations fixed it on their end.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I'm sure somebody here will royally P & M about this..

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
there goes my episode of Lost in HD. :(

·
Banned
8,246 Posts
Any know if this will finally get rid of the Green Stripe and the Green Halo?

Or is this related to getting rid of the Tierman IRDs?

The local ABC Affilate in Tampa has had the Tiermans fail twice in the last week and its getting worse. Every replacement ABC overnights in seems to have more problems than the one it replaced.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl
I'm curious. When was the last time a network announced that their HD was going to be unavailable?
Either CBS or NBC, if i remember correctly ?

·
Banned
8,246 Posts
Quote:
I'm curious. When was the last time a network announced that their HD was going to be unavailable?

With NBC they don't need to. It's a nightly occurrence.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic
With NBC they don't need to. It's a nightly occurrence.
no ki!dding

last night, SF was no HD for all 3 primtime slots

probably the same for the LA feed with the same control people

maybe the control room guys own a lot of nbc stock and their busy doing after hours trades to try and save their life savings ;)

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
If the control room guys own lots of GE stock (and presumably have been buying it steadily over the years) they don't need to do anything but sit back and plan a most enjoyable retirement.

The same GE share that closed Monday at $34.41 closed on August 15, 1980 at (in effect) $1.20 a share. To double in value just about every five years is not too shabby.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Appreciate the notice. Hope this'll clear up what sometimes looks like a fuzzy NTSC (analog) feed upconverted to 720p for golf matches I follow on ABC's weekend coverage. At times, the graphics on these upconverted 720p broadcasts are so fuzzy and smeared they're hard to read. By contrast, the 720p from prerecorded shows like "Lost" look pretty good (for 720p). Get my signals via a (presumably) fiber-optic feed from ABC in NYC to my TIme Warner Cable (or RCN) head end. -- John

·
Registered
942 Posts
Thank you for letting us know in advance. Hopefully this means better or more consistant HDTV feeds. It would be cool if they let us know exactly what was going to be done just to fullfill our curiousity.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB2
Thank you for letting us know in advance. Hopefully this means better or more consistant HDTV feeds. It would be cool if they let us know exactly what was going to be done just to fullfill our curiousity.
They did:

ABC will be upgrading its HDTV release facility including a replacement of the HD router.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Is this going to fix the CC problems that I have been seeing. I am not sure if this is a national issue but in my area the CC come on on about 50% percent of the dialog. Can someone check with their box and make sure they get 100 % of the dialog in the CC text. By the way the problem occurs with two different STB

·
Registered
313 Posts
My guess is the CC issue is a local one. We take the CC from the Std Def signal and insert that on the HD signal.

JStigler

WFAA-DT

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Quote:
When we had the start of the war. I think it was NBC because of bandwidth availability problems.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Will this make upconverted non-HD sports have better PQ? NCAA football games look bad

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.