AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else watching this crazy series? It is so different. When I read what it was about I didn't think it would work (e.g. two people in a car the entire time) but it actually works. Gets better as it goes along too. Down the road they are not just in their car (will not spoil anything). Season 3 just started so you have a lot of episodes to binge watch if interested.

From the Wiki article:

No Activity is "set against the world of a major drug cartel bust" and follows "two low-level cops who have spent far too much time in a car together; two criminals who are largely kept in the dark; two dispatch workers who haven’t really clicked; and two Mexican tunnelers who are in way too small a space considering they’ve only just met"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Activity_(American_TV_series)

I can't find a trailer for it that doesn't have explicit language in it so you can search for them yourselves if you want.

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
I tried to watch the first season a while ago when I had a free month of CBSAA with commercials and couldn't get into it (i.e., it wasn't worth sitting through commercials like I was doing for ST Discovery). Maybe I'll give it another shot next time I have a commercial-free sub (which is the only way I'll do it now).

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
S1&2 are on Hulu. When I recorded them the commercial breaks were there but only 3 or 4 actual ads in the whole series. BBC/ Australian apparently? I might check it out tonight...

Edit> So I watched the first 2 eps - definitely not for everyone but pretty good deadpan humor and the one cop's facial expressions are priceless. Kind of like a Peter Sellers version of Waiting for Godot.

I recognized a couple of the characters from City Homicide on Prime. I'll watch a couple more tonight. Purely as a wild guess I think fans of Detectorists might like it although the characters aren't as appealing.

Edit2> Fitting ending for S1. One ep had the guy from Stumptown as an American DEA agent.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
‘No Activity’ Renewed For Season 4 By CBS All Access

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
‘No Activity’ Renewed For Season 4 By CBS All Access
I’m shocked by this actually. It was kind of funny if I am remembering right, but with all then cancelled shows recently, this is interesting.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I’m shocked by this actually. It was kind of funny if I am remembering right, but with all then cancelled shows recently, this is interesting.
The article stated that Season 4 had already been written and was gearing up for production when the pandemic halted production. As CBS is shortening all of their broadcast shows for the season I am guessing this is a less expensive production that was ready to go and could add new content to CBS AA as they get ready to re-brand to Paramount+.

I like the series. You do have to sit through some trying scenes and dialogue at times, but overall it creates some funny moments that you don't find in most traditional sitcoms. Being on a streaming service feels like the right place for a show like this.

Reactions: Don S

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
The article stated that Season 4 had already been written and was gearing up for production when the pandemic halted production. As CBS is shortening all of their broadcast shows for the season I am guessing this is a less expensive production that was ready to go and could add new content to CBS AA as they get ready to re-brand to Paramount+.

I like the series. You do have to sit through some trying scenes and dialogue at times, but overall it creates some funny moments that you don't find in most traditional sitcoms. Being on a streaming service feels like the right place for a show like this.
Yeah. I watched, but I honestly can’t remember much from it other than I thought it was kind of funny.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Great show.
I watched the first episode a while ago and it felt boring. Didn't return to it till after Season 3 and watched all seasons in succession. Great deadpan humor, Tim Meadows is awesome in it. The other cop is one of the creators of the original Australian show that I plan to watch as well.
Happy to see it renewed for another season. Too bad my favorite deadpan show, Patriot, didn't get a 3rd season from Amazon.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Yeah. I watched, but I honestly can’t remember much from it other than I thought it was kind of funny.
I was going to post YouTube links to Season 1 & 2 trailers, but not sure if they would stay up for very long. But, they did make me laugh again.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Too bad my favorite deadpan show, Patriot, didn't get a 3rd season from Amazon.
Agree. Patriot had that same type of humor. Very different execution, but similar feeling.

What they both have are some very good actors that can pull it off. In the wrong hands/actors and it could be awful.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Missed this in the first read through. I guess this is one way to work around covid protocols for productions.

Article Excerpt:
The new season also will be a departure from previous seasons, with all characters appearing in animated form.

Reactions: AlexLac

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Animated? :(
I guess covid protocols discourage two people sitting in close proximity in a car on set for hours on end. ⛑

Reactions: AlexLac

·
Registered
20,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No Activity gets animated for season 4: See the characters' new looks

CBS All Access comedy No Activity is going from live-action to animated for season 4 (which will debut on Paramount+), and EW has your first look at all the characters. Click through the gallery to see what series stars Tim Meadows and Patrick Brammall, along with this season's guest stars, look like in animated form.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts