AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have played at least 2 disks on my sx21 that were 1.85:1 aspect whereby the image was not tall enough.

The width of the image made sense.

The disks were Volcanoe and Mask.

The Mask disk case says "presented in a letter box" while the Volcanoe disk says "presented in a 1.85:1 widescreen format". Neither disk is labeled enhanced for wide screen TV's or anamorphic etc.

I have my sx 21 set to 4:3 and 1:1 pixel mapping.

I have TheatreTek 1.2 on my htpc and it usually runs quite well. I am also using a panamorph.

In order to get these two movies to the right aspect ratio, I have to rescale them.

I have checked my projector settings and have not found a solution there.

Has anyone else experienced this.

My title suggests what I now think that the problem is.

Many years ago I read an article about anamorphic squeeze, but presently, I am a little foggy on the subject.

I just tried the above 2 disks in a row and they both work fine with a new aspect that I call 1.85:1 non anamorphic. Then I tried an enhanced widescreen disc, Final Destination 2 and it runs fine with the aspect I set for it previously.

Does this make sense.

I hope so as TT has not given me any other problems and it bugs me.

Warren

·
Registered
305 Posts
Well, if your content is not anamorphic, which is typically indicated as "Enhanced for Widescreen TVs", you will need to create a specific custom pixel ratio to "zoom into" the picture removing the letterbox bars and then squish the picture (creating an anamorphic picture) so that your panamorph lens can then "stretch" it back out to the correct aspect.

If your content is anamorphic, it is already squished (and may not contain any blackbars if the OAR is 1:1.77), so when you set your projector and DVD player to the standard 4:3 mode, your panamorph lens will do the stretching to give you the correct ratio.

I did some checking and both titles you indicated, Mask and Volcano DVDs are not in anamorphic format, that's why you needed to create a special custom aspect for it to work correctly with your panamorph lens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.