·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

what are you sending the audio from?

·
Premium Member
93,193 Posts
All the ARC feature replaces is the need to run an optical cable from the TV to the AVR which is what you can do as well with no loss of audio quality, rather just having to use an extra cable. Although strange that the 1020 offers HDMI Control but not the ARC feature. The lowest level Denon 391 is the only Denon HDMI 1.4 model that doesn't offer either HDMI Control or ARC.

·
Premium Member
93,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photocrazy /forum/post/19646176

Also I read somewhere optical out from TVs are always 2 channel. Can anybody confirm this. FYI, I have LG 50PK550.

The audio out from HD OTA channels and connected sources sending DD 5.1 will often go out from the optical out jack. Check your LG owners manual to confirm whether this is the case for your LG. Also, sources connected to the AVR will have the AVR process the HD audio and send it to the surround speakers. When using HDMI Control and sending both the video and audio to the TV, the HD audio will be down mixed to stereo to enable the TV to process it.

·
Registered
203 Posts

Quote:
My TV won't, but my Bluray player will. so the receiver processes HD audio before sending to TV ?

Yes, the Bluray player sends HD audio and video by HDMI cable to your receiver -- your receiver plays the audio and passes the video on to the TV via another HDMI cable.

ARC allows you to get audio back from the TV to the receiver -- this is most useful when watching TV using the TV's internal tuner. If you are using a source other than the TV, you don't need ARC.

·
Registered
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photocrazy /forum/post/19646239

My TV won't, but my Bluray player will. so the receiver processes HD audio before sending to TV ?

i'm confused.

so you want to pass the HD audio from the BD player through the receiver to the TV to be played back over the TV speakers?

ARC is TV to receiver. any OTA source coming from the TV isn't going to be "HD".

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmc /forum/post/0

Yes, the Bluray player sends HD audio and video by HDMI cable to your receiver -- your receiver plays the audio and passes the video on to the TV via another HDMI cable.

ARC allows you to get audio back from the TV to the receiver -- this is most useful when watching TV using the TV's internal tuner. If you are using a source other than the TV, you don't need ARC.

It's also useful for passing audio from TV-based widgets like Pandora, Netflix, etc.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo /forum/post/19647179

i'm confused.

so you want to pass the HD audio from the BD player through the receiver to the TV to be played back over the TV speakers?

ARC is TV to receiver. any OTA source coming from the TV isn't going to be "HD".

Nope, I want AVR to output the sound via surround speakers. All these HDCP standards and HDMI handshakes confused me into thinking that ARC is a necessity to play HD audio. Now I am clear as to how things work

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.