AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 34hs510 from Sony, and was wondering, it appears there are no audio connections associated with the DVI port. Since audio doesn't transmit over a DVI cable, if you connect a cable box or dvd player to this set via DVI, am I correct to assume that the only way to listen to the audio is to connect the box/dvd to another audio source, such as a receiver ?

I'm debating on whether to buy the Samsung HD931 or wait until Cablevision releases their HD box with DVI at the end of this year. For simple channel surfing, when nothing in particular is on, I don't turn my receiver on, just listen through the TV's speakers.

I have a pro-scan DVD player, and since I'm up anyway to insert the disc, I only have audio connected to my receiver, which I use. I don't have additional cables to my set.

I would like to free up one of the component connections so I can move my PS2 from s-video to component, even though it only sends out 480p signals over component.

·
Registered
63 Posts
to use the ps2 with component cables, you will need to use the digital out for the sound to work. to do this, you will need a receiver i'm pretty sure. I didn't realize this until after i spent $80 on monster ps2 cables, and had to return them for the s-video monster cables.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am aware of that for the ps2. This thread is to discuss audio for cable boxes/dvd players when using a DVI connection.

thanks anyway - I already have my PS2 passing digital audio to my receiver, and analog audio through my tv

·
Registered
846 Posts
The source component, that is connected to DVI (AV7), must have it's audio output connected to AV7's (DVI) audio input (if you want audio from the TV's internal speakers).

Is your TV similar to the attached image? If so, notice the RCA connectors below and to the left of the DVI connector.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks. that's how mine looked. I hadn't looked behind there - I could have sworn there were no audio outputs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.