AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys --

I just received my new Sharp Aquos LC42D64U television today. I previously had a 32 inch Westinghouse that I had been using the following setup to get surround sound through my Xbox 360 -

HDMI cable from Xbox 360 to television

Digital optical audio cable from television to receiver

It worked fine!!

Now with this Sharp, I get no audio whatsoever! If I switch over to my regular cable TV, BOOM - audio! This said, I can't really tell which component is faulty, since I can get surround through the Digital optical audio cable when watching regular TV, but I can't when I switch to my Xbox 360 using HDMI, which worked before on a crappier TV!

Please HELP!

Thanks,

Shane H

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Lot's of TV's won't pass HDMI audio back out via the Optical out. You might want to verify if this is the case with your new TV.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a PS3 but I'm guessing XBox will let you do the same thing. (Assuming the Xbox has an optical output) Run the optical cable directly to the receiver and configure the Xbox to output your audio that way.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen /forum/post/12859457

Lot's of TV's won't pass HDMI audio back out via the Optical out. You might want to verify if this is the case with your new TV.

Yep, lots of times the optical out on a TV is only for the TV's tuner to output sound to a receiver and won't pass any other input though. Probably the case with the Sharp.

In that case, you just need to run a seprate optical output from the 360 directly to the receiver. Unfortunatly, that means either buying MS's absurdly priced HDMI cable kit for the included optical dongle, or modifying your existing 360 A/V cable to fit in the port along with the HDMI pluged in above it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is no optical out on the XBOX Elite so I presume that it is consistent with the XBOX premium and downward. I have the same problem and apparently Microsoft has acknowledged the issue with this linked ( support.microsoft.com/kb/909337 article. I reckon the PS3 would have been the proper purchase but unfortunately some of us have to live with this decision. Hmph!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Also. Using optical with your tv to receiver. Tv's only pass 2.0 stereo with optical. If you want 5.1. You need to use the included adapter with your 360 for optical.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts