AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 replaytv 5040's (both upgraded to larger maxtor hard drives). They have both been working fine, but now only on one of them, I am having audio problems. I can play recorded shows and I get audio, and I can watch most of the channels and get audio, but channels 11 and 12 have absolutely no audio. I can flip over to my television and it has audio on those channels also my other 5040 in a different room has audio on those channels. I have Charter cable (non-digital) connected directly to the replays. I have tried taking the direct feed coming out of the wall (instead of splitting it off to tv, vcr, etc) and I still have the same problem. I also tried connecting an amplifier and it made my channels clearer, but I still get no sound from channels 11 and 12. Any suggestions?

thanks,

Steven

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Do the channels have audio when the replay isn't part of the path? ie Connecting the cable to the TV directly.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Did you try a powerdown, i.e. unplug from the wall for a few minutes and then reboot?

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Well, that's interesting. I'm curious about your signal strength.

Let me give you more infomation that you'd ever want to know....

Audio and Video are broadcast in a block of frequencies, there's a frequency range for each and every channel.

Audio is broadcast 4.5MHz higher than the video signal, for example

Channel 12 has the freq range of 204-210 with the following partitions...

Picture - 205.250

Color Subcarrier- 208.8295

Audio Subcarrier- 209.750

Like I've stated 100 times before, these values are exact in design, but loose in practice. The carrier can do whatever they want, and often do. The TV/VCR manufacturers are working with years of experience of dealing with these signals. They put all sorts of features into the sets and vcrs to work with these out of spec signals. The replay tuner doesn't appear to be as robust.

The real question is.... what is the frequency range for those two channels including sub carriers. (you'll need to talk to a upper level tech most likely to get these values) If those channels are in the "normal" range the tuner shouldn't have a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.