AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hitachi 42HDS52 connected to a Scientific Atlanta DVR cable box via HDMI cable. No audio comes across, the cable box is set to send audio out via HDMI. this same set up works on my Panasonic 50 plasma. Does anyone know of a issue with the Hitachi 42HDS52 and HDMI audio?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Set it to PCM if you have it set to DD. Some HDMI chipsets in TV's can't handle it.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
If your using a DVI/HDMI adapter you cannot pass audio out the HDMI. (at least this is true on my Moto6412).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is PCM?

I dont have a home theater set up, I am using the internal speakers.

The cable is a HDMI to HDMI.

I am going to call Hitachi today and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
PCM is a type of transport used for digital audio, most STB's have the option to output digital sound via PCM or Dolby Digital. Some TV's can't handle Dolby Digital on their HDMI chipsets.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can almost guarantee that there is no problem with the set. I'm guessing the HDMI chip that Hitachi used just wont handle the signal. If I could guarantee, I'd live with it.

Hitachi offered to send someone to fix the tv under warranty.

Circuit City offered to swap out the HDMI cable or a totally new tv, which ever fixes the problem.

Cablevision offered a new HDMI cable box.

I will bring my DVR cable box and my HDMI cable to the store and see what is causing the problem. Exchanging the Tv is my last choice. I dont know if CC can hook my cable box up or not.

It's not that I care about HDMI audio, I just dont want this to be a small malfunction that causes a big problem in the future.

Sometimes its good to pay too much!

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Have you tried changing the audio output on the STB yet?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The problem was the cable box.

The DVR Scientific Atlanta cable box does not transmit audio through HDMI to a Hitachi 42HDS52 plasma. (Or The Hitachi 42HDS52 HDMI wont pick up the signal from a DVR Scientific Atlanta cable box).

I tried a DVD player that had HDMI and audio was transmitted.

I tried a SECOND cable box with no success. The box is set to output via HDMI.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just purchased the 42HDS52, and have it connected to a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR. I just smoke-tested it quickly last night watching some HD feeds out of the SA8300HD, and had no problem hearing the audio.

-- Todd

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.