AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have GeForce 9800 GX2 card in my pc running Vista 64bit and my TV is Samsung 750 (52"). I have connected video via hdmi and audio via 3.5 mm Stereo mini-plug 2RCA cable to my sound card.

I have sound through my PC speakers but nothing through my TV. What could be the problem?

Also the TV has 120refrashe rate but I cant seem to set it up to that in my nvidia control panel. Even if I try to do custom resolution it fails.

thank you

TD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mos /forum/post/15548608

There are no TV's or projectors that will accept a 120Hz input, they only convert to that internally.

Ahh thats what I was afraid off.

But what about sound.

Right now I have excellent video at 1900 x 1080 and 60hz. I have read my tv manual and set up as they wanted PC to HDMI stol 2 and R and L audio right next to it, but still no sound.

Could this be Vista problem?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Did you plug your cable into the lime green connector on PC? Maybe your TV speakers aren't setup for analog input but digital, check your user menu of TV.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
AFAIK the 750 does not use 120Hz refresh or supports 5:5 pulldown of 1080p/24 input If you disagree please provide supporting documenation or a link to supporting documentation.

Have you changed the setting on your TV to tell it to use stereo sound with R&L cables instead of HDMI sound for the HDMI you are using that supports either.

The TV says it hav "Full 1080p HD Resolution with 120Hz Auto Motion Plus "

So thats the refresh rate right? Im sorry if I am wrong.

I cant find those settings anywhere. Should it not detect the R&L cables automatically?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeutler1203 /forum/post/15548879

So you have a video card with an HDMI out? Then you are taking an HDMI cable from the PC to the tv?

Indeed.

Quote:
Did you plug your cable into the lime green connector on PC? Maybe your TV speakers aren't setup for analog input but digital, check your user menu of TV.

Yes of course I plug the cable into the lime green connector on the PC.

I searched the menu on my TV and cant find anything that would change the audio from digital to analog. Ill check the manual again.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
I have deleted my previous post since I had looked up the specs for the LED DLP model 750 and not for the 52" LCD model 750.

Your Unit does provide 120 hz 5:5 pulldown when receiving 1080p/24 content.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so if it does support 120Hz then why its not showing up on nvidia control panel as one of the options?

Another question;

Is it possible to have BOTH audio and video through HDMI with PC to TV conection?

If I connect my GFX to Mobo with SPDIF cable I should get sound with HDMI cable right? Or do I need a receiver? Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts

Quote:
so if it does support 120Hz then why its not showing up on nvidia control panel as one of the options?

As has been stated previously here (more than once) - no TV will a accept 120hz signal - they only display 120hz by doing an internal conversion. For BD, you want to set it to 24hz and let it do the 5:5 pulldown.

Just because it says that it's a 120hz capable monitor doesn't mean it will take that signal. The first 1080p sets were they same way-they would only accept 1080i and then convert it to 1080p internally.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceDiablo /forum/post/15563710

All of todays HDTVs have internal computer and memory buffers so that what input resoloutions they accept in their input buffers are not the same as the same are not the same as what they display from their output buffers to their actual displays.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK. the reason why I want 120hz is because I want to run this.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/GeForce...sion_Main.html

The Nvidia Geforce 3D Vision, Is it possible on my TV? I do the test there but I fail with the monitor , but maybe I have something set wrong.

Plus, what about the audio thingy? I can't find anywhere where I can tell it to take audio from R&L rather then hdmi.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts

Quote:
Plus, what about the audio thingy? I can't find anywhere where I can tell it to take audio from R&L rather then hdmi.

Need to go into your control panel and find out which audio device you are sending a signal from. On my Vista 32 rig I've got a speaker icon in the lower right of the bottom taskbar-right click>playback devices and it lists out all the possibilities. Make sure you've got the proper (analog) one selected. It might be set in other places (playback software?) and you need to select the proper output there as well.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceDiablo /forum/post/15568024

OK. the reason why I want 120hz is because I want to run this.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/GeForce...sion_Main.html

The Nvidia Geforce 3D Vision, Is it possible on my TV? I do the test there but I fail with the monitor , but maybe I have something set wrong.

I suspect that it isn't possible with your TV at 120Hz. It appears that specific models of Samsung PC monitors designed for 3D supprt will accept 120Hz feeds (which will presumably be 60Hz Left eye and 60Hz Right eye feeds fed as alternate 120Hz frames and synced to the LCD shutters on the glasses)

This is NOT the same as 120Hz TVs - which don't accept 120Hz inputs, but instead convert 24Hz and 60Hz inputs to 120Hz internally for 120Hz display.

It MAY be possible to run the nVidia stuff at 60Hz - with 30Hz refresh of left and right eye feeds - but this will be half the frame rate and not great for gaming. It PROBABLY won't be possible though - as I suspect syncing the glasses might be an issue...

Quote:

You have checked in the Sound section of the control panel that the analogue output is enabled, and listened to it with a pair of speakers or headphones haven't you?

If so you need to confirm that your display can associate analogue audio inputs with one of its HDMI inputs AND find the area in the TV set-up that lets you chose this.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Page 4 of what I believe is your user manual discuses connection of stereo audio when connecting with a DVI-HDMI cable to the HDMI 2 input connection. Are your cables connected as described there? If Yes the TV may auto select the stereo audio.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/15570961

Page 4 of what I believe is your user manual discuses connection of stereo audio when connecting with a DVI-HDMI cable to the HDMI 2 input connection. Are your cables connected as described there? If Yes the TV may auto select the stereo audio.

Thats how I have it connected. In HDMI 2 slot and next to it my R&L cables.

In my Playback Devices I have 3 things:

1. Speakers - SoundMax Integrated Digital HD Audio - Working (Green Check next to it)

2. SPDIF Interface - SoundMax Integrated Digital HD Audio - Working

4. Digital Output - oundMax Integrated Digital HD Audio - Working

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
If you are using stereo output then in your PC you should only be setting the output for normal analog speaker output since you are using the R&W output connectors from your and not digital any digital outpu.

I did not check in your user's maual if you have to select the analog stereo inputs instead of the HDMI digital inputs when using HDMI input 2.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceDiablo /forum/post/15576485

1. Speakers - SoundMax Integrated Digital HD Audio - Working (Green Check next to it)

This is your analog output despite the name. It's also your default playback device (the green check mark).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceDiablo /forum/post/15563710

Another question;

Is it possible to have BOTH audio and video through HDMI with PC to TV conection?

If I connect my GFX to Mobo with SPDIF cable I should get sound with HDMI cable right?

Yes. This should work. You will have to change the default playback device in Windows.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts