AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I leave my HTPC in 24/7 . It is set to go into standby.

This is my HTPC setup:

Intel i7 4770k processor

GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 780

Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case CC-9011030-WW - Black

2 Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE250BW in Raid 0 config. Windows 7 pro , WMC

Asus Z87 PRO LGA 1150 Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB memory

Swiftech H220 Quiet Power PLUG-AND-PLAY Liquid Cooling

Ceton InfiniTV6 PCIe cable tuner card

Logitech K400r wireless keyboard

Yamaha RX-A1000 AVR

The issue I am having is when I shutdown the AVR and turn it on at a later time I get no audio. I have to reduce WMC to the task bar in windows 7 for a few seconds till I see the x go away on the speaker in the task bar go away then I open WMC again and audio comes back.

It used to work fine . This started about a month ago.

Has anyone had this issue ???

Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Check the easy first. Any driver related updates in the last month. Any new software. Check the power plan advanced setting. If fail... Then go for ASUS

Found on Newegg.
Quote:
Manufacturer Response:

Greetings,

I am sorry that you are having issues with the motherboard. At your earliest convenience, please send me an email regarding this case. Within the email, please provide the following information: drivers installed, operating system installed, troubleshooting steps tried, and computer part list. 3552594.

Regards,

Mark

ASUS Customer Loyalty

[email protected]

·
Registered
15,281 Posts
Also make sure you aren't using Away Mode in the media sharing part of the advanced power options. That can also make you get stuck in mute.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Woobieizer and Mdavej for the help. This is my first HTPC build and I had followed Asassin's guides which I found very well written and extremely helpful.

I checked all the advanced power settings and found a few which were not set correctly. Under the sound tab, communications I set it to do nothing. .

In the media part under power settings, advanced it was set to prevent idling to sleep so I believe that is set correctly

I will post back tomorrow morning and post back if the new settings worked.

Appreciate the Help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well last night I left the HTPC in live tv mode. This morning when I turned on the tv I found that the HTPC did not go into standby mode. As I have said I followed Asassin's guide to set it up. It had been working fine.

This morning I had a good picture but no audio. As soon as I reduced WMC to the tastbar the audio started working again.

Still have the same issue. The only driver updates I have done is to the graphics card but I have had this issue since before the graphics card update.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blusky  /t/1525251/no-audio-when-htpc-comes-out-of-standby#post_24564176

Well last night I left the HTPC in live tv mode. This morning when I turned on the tv I found that the HTPC did not go into standby mode. As I have said I followed Asassin's guide to set it up. It had been working fine.

This morning I had a good picture but no audio. As soon as I reduced WMC to the tastbar the audio started working again.

Still have the same issue. The only driver updates I have done is to the graphics card but I have had this issue since before the graphics card update.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm just gonna mess you up..

Are you on the 1804 bios firmware? Do you keep System Restore points.. have you considered a rollback to the known good date?

On the side note: Will you consider hyper linking the Asassin's guide you reference?

The original OP stated this occurred when the AVR was cycled off/on? Am I misunderstanding something?

How is the sound and video connected thru from pc to amp to tv?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer  /t/1525251/no-audio-when-htpc-comes-out-of-standby#post_24564234

I'm just gonna mess you up..

Are you on the 1804 bios firmware? Do you keep System Restore points.. have you considered a rollback to the known good date?

On the side note: Will you consider hyper linking the Asassin's guide you reference?

The original OP stated this occurred when the AVR was cycled off/on? Am I misunderstanding something?

How is the sound and video connected thru from pc to amp to tv?

I am not at home now so will have to get back to you on which bios update I have. I do have system restore points so I can do that .

I don't know if I can hyperlink Asassin's power options here but I will post me settings when I get home.

The problem occurs when I shut down and turn back on my Yamaha. AVR . If I keep the AVR on and switch inputs I have no problem with the audio.

The connection from my Htpc to AVR is with HDMI from GPU to AVR and then from AVR to Samsung flat panel through HDMI.

As I have stated everything worked well originally.

Will post power settings and bios version when I get back .

Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blusky  /t/1525251/no-audio-when-htpc-comes-out-of-standby#post_24564403

I am not at home now so will have to get back to you on which bios update I have. I do have system restore points so I can do that .

I don't know if I can hyperlink Asassin's power options here but I will post me settings when I get home.

The problem occurs when I shut down and turn back on my Yamaha. AVR . If I keep the AVR on and switch inputs I have no problem with the audio.

The connection from my Htpc to AVR is with HDMI from GPU to AVR and then from AVR to Samsung flat panel through HDMI.

As I have stated everything worked well originally.

Will post power settings and bios version when I get back .

Appreciate the help.

The only reason I asked about the bios is that it is relatively new.

If you turn the AVR off and then back on does the HTPC lose/mute the audio? If so could you test by just switching inputs?

It's as if the Realtek HD Audio manager app is running the show.

E7832_Z87 pro PDF

E805_Z87_series PDF

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer  /t/1525251/no-audio-when-htpc-comes-out-of-standby#post_24564495

The only reason I asked about the bios is that it is relatively new.

If you turn the AVR off and then back on does the HTPC lose/mute the audio? If so could you test by just switching inputs?

It's as if the Realtek HD Audio manager app is running the show.

E7832_Z87 pro PDF

E805_Z87_series PDF

Yes Woobieizer , if I switch inputs but leave the AVR on I have no issues. If I turn off the AVR and then turn it on again I get a picture and no audio. When I reduce WMC to the tastbar I immediately see the X on the speaker symbol in the taste bar for a few seconds then the audio turns on and the X on the speakers goes away . I then resize WMC and all is well till next AVR shutdown.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blusky  /t/1525251/no-audio-when-htpc-comes-out-of-standby#post_24564625

Yes Woobieizer , if I switch inputs but leave the AVR on I have no issues. If I turn off the AVR and then turn it on again I get a picture and no audio. When I reduce WMC to the tastbar I immediately see the X on the speaker symbol in the taste bar for a few seconds then the audio turns on and the X on the speakers goes away . I then resize WMC and all is well till next AVR shutdown.

Ok, I understood that part. What I'm getting at is in the bold'ed case, just switch inputs to see if the Realtek HD Audio manager invokes the 'signal detect' back to the AMP by just switching inputs back and forth. *Granted Workaround*

Windows Restore is my hope for your solution.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I'm just wondering what kind of HTPC remote you have at your disposal? I use the Hausbell ® Mini H7 on mine, and have a mute button... ohh OHHHH AHHH!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer  /t/1525251/no-audio-when-htpc-comes-out-of-standby#post_24564667

Ok, I understood that part. What I'm getting at is in the bold'ed case, just switch inputs to see if the Realtek HD Audio manager invokes the 'signal detect' back to the AMP by just switching inputs back and forth. *Granted Workaround*

Ok, I switched inputs to everything I have and as long as the AVR stays on , no problem. Pardon. My ignorance but still learning about. The HTPC . . I am using Windows 7 and when I select, Control panel and then sound I see Samsung -4 , Nvidia High Definition Audio selected as my default device and it appears to be setup correctly. For whatever reason windows 7 never named my Yamaha receiver just my Samsung tv?

I am not sure I did as you instructed me to do.

As for my power settings this is what I have:

Balanced

Turn off display 30 min

Put computer to sleep Never

Advanced:

Turn off hard drives after Never

Sleep. Never

Hibernate. Never

Allow wake timers. Enabled

Usb settings

Usb selective suspend setting Enabled

Processor power state

Minimum processor state setting. 5%

System cooling policy active

Maximum processor state 100%

Multimedia setting

When sharing media prevent idling to sleep

When playing video Optimize video quality

All other settings are at default

Thanks for the help .

·
Registered
15,281 Posts
Why are you using still Realtek at all? I'd disable the internal sound in the BIOS and make sure only your Nvidia (or Windows) drivers handle all audio.

Another workaround you can try is to install MCE Standby tool. You can set it up to restart WMC on every wake.

Also, I usually uncheck "allow applications to take exclusive control..." in your audio settings. I can see how that could cause HDCP issues too.

I had a similar problem where my audio device completely disappeared after wake. Turns out it was a driver issue. An earlier driver worked fine. Later drivers did not work. So I make sure to never update my video card drivers. I find one that works and stick with it. I've had pretty good luck with Nvidia, but AMD updates always seem to break something, so I've learned to never update my AMD drivers.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blusky  /t/1525251/no-audio-when-htpc-comes-out-of-standby#post_24564625

Ok, I misunderstood. The X you see on the speakers is not the MUTE. This is the device manger telling you that a piece of hardware is unavailable.

And as you stated you MUST minimize WMC in order for the device manager to recognize the hardware, and switching inputs while problem exists will not reinitialize the handshake correcting the issue.

How goes the Bios update or System Restore?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have an HTPC with a Denon AVR in the path. When I use the Harmony remote, sometime the MCE comes up muted. If I take my time a start WMC without using the Harmony macros, i can avoid the muted sound.problem. I am guessing that my Denon AVR is to blame...

I really think I need one the HDMI gadgets that maintains HDCP handshake.

Just for $hits and giggles, try leaving your AVR on. It's not a fix but it may give us a clue.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer  /t/1525251/no-audio-when-htpc-comes-out-of-standby#post_24564667

I switched inputs but when I came back to HTPC input still no audio. Only thing that seems to work is reducing WMC to taskbar.

I will do the system restore after Bios update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer  /t/1525251/no-audio-when-htpc-comes-out-of-standby#post_24564720

I'm just wondering what kind of HTPC remote you have at your disposal? I use the Hausbell ® Mini H7 on mine, and have a mute button... ohh OHHHH AHHH!

I am using a Logitech K400r wireless keyboard for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1525251/no-audio-when-htpc-comes-out-of-standby#post_24565310

Why are you using still Realtek at all? I'd disable the internal sound in the BIOS and make sure only your Nvidia (or Windows) drivers handle all audio.

Another workaround you can try is to install MCE Standby tool. You can set it up to restart WMC on every wake.

Also, I usually uncheck "allow applications to take exclusive control..." in your audio settings. I can see how that could cause HDCP issues too.

I had a similar problem where my audio device completely disappeared after wake. Turns out it was a driver issue. An earlier driver worked fine. Later drivers did not work. So I make sure to never update my video card drivers. I find one that works and stick with it. I've had pretty good luck with Nvidia, but AMD updates always seem to break something, so I've learned to never update my AMD drivers.

I have disabled all realtek audio in the bios. I will look into the MCE standby tool.

I had to select "allow applications to take exclusive control..." and "give exclusive mode applications priority."

I have the latest Nvidea driver for the GTX780 but will try some older drivers tomorrow. I have been having an issue with playback of video. I get what looks like missing frames or picture stuttering but that will be another post. I have been dealing with that one for a while now by trying different video drivers but still not solved. I have ruled out codec issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer  /t/1525251/no-audio-when-htpc-comes-out-of-standby#post_24565348

Ok, I misunderstood. The X you see on the speakers is not the MUTE. This is the device manger telling you that a piece of hardware is unavailable.

And as you stated you MUST minimize WMC in order for the device manager to recognize the hardware, and switching inputs while problem exists will not reinitialize the handshake correcting the issue.

How goes the Bios update or System Restore?

I just updated the bios to version 1802

I changed these settings:

Azalia diabled

Sata Mode selection -Raid

CPU audio device -Disabled

Primary Display [PCIE]

HD Audio controller- Disabled

Bluetooth controller- Disabled

Wi-Fi controller-Disabled

Not sure if all those are correct. I do not use Bluetooth or Wi-Fi on this HTPC

When I look device manager under Display adapters I see Nvidia Gtx 780

under Sound I see :

Nvidia High Defenition audio

Nvidia Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

Yes I must minimize WMC in order for the device manager to recognize the hardware, switching inputs while problem exists will not correct the issue.

Still having same issue. I will do a system restore tomorrow and see how that goes.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
One last workaround tip with the keyboard.

Hit Win+p to invoke the Display selection while WMC is running and audio is broken.. see if that relieves your woes.

Much work you have done. Sorry it has left you empty handed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdacat  /t/1525251/no-audio-when-htpc-comes-out-of-standby#post_24566493

I have an HTPC with a Denon AVR in the path. When I use the Harmony remote, sometime the MCE comes up muted. If I take my time a start WMC without using the Harmony macros, i can avoid the muted sound.problem. I am guessing that my Denon AVR is to blame...

I really think I need one the HDMI gadgets that maintains HDCP handshake.

Just for $hits and giggles, try leaving your AVR on. It's not a fix but it may give us a clue.

Thanks billdacat for your help. To turn on my AVR and other components. I use a Universal remote model MX-980. I leave the HTPC on 24/7. I will leave the AVR on tonight and see what happens . I am will pretty sure, as you had said that it will work. It worked well about a month ago , I'm curious to see what is causing this issue.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer  /t/1525251/no-audio-when-htpc-comes-out-of-standby#post_24566601

One last workaround tip with the keyboard.

Hit Win+p to invoke the Display selection while WMC is running and audio is broken.. see if that relieves your woes.

Much work you have done. Sorry it has left you empty handed.

Just tried the Win+p and the video blacks out for about a second but still no audio.

Thanks for the help.

I enjoy playing around with the HTPC. Eventually I am sure we will get to the bottom of this.

Actually I find the playback issue and the 29/59 bug way more annoying . These have had me stumped for months.

Now here is something interesting . I have WMC on and on live TV. If I just manually turn off the AVR and then manually turn the AVR back on WMC comes back on but with no audio.

If I set WMC and select TV and highlight recorded tv folder and then turn off AVR and turn it on then select live tv I get audio.The only way this works is after watching Live TV I have to open the recorded TV folder and start playing anything recorded then pause it then go back to highlight the recorded tv folder then turn off AVR. When I turn on AVR on I then have to select live TV then I will get audio.

Sorry sounded a bit confusing. In other words I cannot leave live TV on in WMC before turning off AVR. IF I leave either recorded tv paused or playing a movie from movie folder when I shutdown AVR , then when I turn on AVR and then open Live TV audio works.

Don't know why this is??

1 - 20 of 43 Posts