AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my daughters new xbox 360 hooked up to my Yamaha 663 reciever with a hdmi cable. Video is fine but I get no sound. I have tried the different settings on the console menu. Any help?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,961 Posts
As more and more people are discovering, the 360 does not officially support audio over HDMI. Many people have a whole host of audio issues with HDMI from the 360. Run optical for audio instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,008 Posts
I know for a fact that the 360 works just fine with that AVR. Check all your settings and make sure its all hooked up/set up right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony /forum/post/15450193


I know for a fact that the 360 works just fine with that AVR. Check all your settings and make sure its all hooked up/set up right.

some 360's may work with some AVR's, but from what i've been gathering, nothing is guaranteed..... now this IS against the HDMI spec, and could warrant a recall if the right people looked into it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/15451404


some 360's may work with some AVR's, but from what i've been gathering, nothing is guaranteed..... now this IS against the HDMI spec, and could warrant a recall if the right people looked into it.

Why would some 360's with HDMI wrok differently than other consoles with HDMI? Don't they all use the same hardware/software?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony /forum/post/15455873


Why would some 360's with HDMI wrok differently than other consoles with HDMI? Don't they all use the same hardware/software?

HDMI is complicated... EDID transfer, handshake, DRM, etc.... and i'd wager that a lot of the components inside each xbox are similar but may be from different manufacturers, etc.... one combo may work with one tv or avr, but not with another, this is a flaw with the xbox... they have stated that hdmi audio is not actually supported, though it may work, which goes against the HDMI specification, and i'm not sure how they're getting away with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,008 Posts
I suppose since its a new console then he could take it back and exchange for different one. I've used mine with a few different AVR's and they have all worked fine, including a 663. So he has a good chance of getting one that will work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/15451404


some 360's may work with some AVR's, but from what i've been gathering, nothing is guaranteed..... now this IS against the HDMI spec, and could warrant a recall if the right people looked into it.

The "problem" is that most of the time it works fine, and when it doesn't, it's usually some minor issue that goes unnoticed by most people. The most common audio error with HDMI is a handshake issue causing 5.1 DD to get sent instead as 2-channel stereo. That's an easily missed or overlooked error by most people.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top