AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My system is in my den which is roughly 14x14 with an 8' ceiling; in other words not a very big room. Except that there is no back wall. The house is very open and continues out far and wide from the back of the den. How do I put a room size number on a room like this? Obviously, I dont need or even want to fill the rest of the house with sound, but it sure seems like I might need a little more power than if I had a normal room this size with 4 walls. True?


By the way, I have a Pansonic SA XR55 and Athena Point 5 speakers, and will be mostly (80%) listening to music. I would just order a Hsu Research STF-1 but I am worried that it may not fill the room given the open-wall situation...


Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
909 Posts
Dude, you need a mama of a subwoofer if you have an open area. My my uncle has got an open room (it open at the side leading to the hallway) of abt 14 feet by 18 feet and even his velodynne DD12 isn't sufficient to pressurise the room in my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already said that I am mostly interested in music, I should add that I dont really care if the walls shake during movies, just want good clean full sound...

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kahn
I already said that I am mostly interested in music, I should add that I dont really care if the walls shake during movies, just want good clean full sound...

Steve
Right, you still need to pressurize the room if you want to hear low bass frequencies reproduced (ie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,540 Posts
Your room is not 14x14, it is MUCH bigger then that. Measure from wall to wall and that is how big your room is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,162 Posts
Horn-loaded sub
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kahn
I already said that I am mostly interested in music, I should add that I dont really care if the walls shake during movies, just want good clean full sound...

Steve
Remember that you are asking a bunch of bass heads if you need more bass. Guess what answer you are going to get? YES! Different people have very different ideas about how much is enough bass.


Bass will get lost because your room is so open. That's not to say that you won't have any bass with a VTF-1, you just won't feel any of it. Since most people buy a sub for exactly that reason, you probably need a larger, more powerful sub for your room size even for mostly music listening. Even the VTF-2 may not be enough for the size room you describe to really get great bass. I would suggest saving your pennies and buy the best sub that you can afford.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
I have a room that is 16 x 14 x 8.5' which opens into a kitchen on one side and a hallway on the other. Your den much like my room will have zip low freq gain. Look for a sub that can go to 25, but much below might be wasted on the room.


I went with a HSU VTF3 MK2 for various reasons and it's quite flat to 16hz. I like it, but it's probably not what you want. What type of floor do you have? You may want a front firing sub vs a down firing sub. You can always put the down firing sub on a few bricks. it's all a trade off.


I really must agree with TooMuchTV though. :cool:


Good luck

-john
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
I have almost the same configuration as fibreKid's - a bit smaller space (16 x 13 x 8) and opens up to a dining room and hallway.


To get decent pressurization, I ended up adding a Contrabass to my Genelec 1094. The Genelec works well for just music but couldn’t cut it for movies or music with a bunch of very low frequency content. The Genelec in a enclosed room of similar dimensions was more than enough but the lack of walls is an issue.


-john
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,020 Posts
Teamed up with the Athena pt5's for music, the STF-1 will be fine IMO.


I had a STF-2 in a 15x30x12 room with two uncloseable doorways...and that was more than enough for music, and did fine for movies too.....no...not at reference levels....but plently loud enough for those that had undamaged hearing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,571 Posts
curtis - you give me hope, my room is definately bigger than my budget.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv
curtis - you give me hope, my room is definately bigger than my budget.
I wish that were the case here in Southern California!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,571 Posts
Actually, I'm in the neighborhood (Ventura County). I guess it is all relative - if your budget is small enough, even a SoCal living room looks large... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibreKid
What type of floor do you have?
I have wood (maple) floors. Why does that matter?

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, since I have a big room (because of the open back wall) and Athena Point 5 speakers, it seems like the new Athena AS-P6000 subwoofer would be a good choice for me. Its got a 12", down-firing woofer, 800W peak / 200W RMS BASH amp, and it explicitly says its recommended for rooms > 400 sq ft. Best of all, its on sale at Amazon for $231. Any comments?

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kahn
My system is in my den which is roughly 14x14 with an 8' ceiling; in other words not a very big room. Except that there is no back wall. The house is very open and continues out far and wide from the back of the den. How do I put a room size number on a room like this? Obviously, I dont need or even want to fill the rest of the house with sound, but it sure seems like I might need a little more power than if I had a normal room this size with 4 walls. True?


By the way, I have a Pansonic SA XR55 and Athena Point 5 speakers, and will be mostly (80%) listening to music. I would just order a Hsu Research STF-1 but I am worried that it may not fill the room given the open-wall situation...


Steve
Based on what the Athena Point.5s output (25 watt RMS), the STF-1 should be loud enough in a nearfield setup, and mate well with the Point.5s 80Hz cutoff frequency. I had a similar setup and was quite satisfied with it (until I upgraded to AS-F2 and an STF-3) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vw_michael
Based on what the Athena Point.5s output (25 watt RMS), the STF-1 should be loud enough in a nearfield setup, and mate well with the Point.5s 80Hz cutoff frequency. I had a similar setup and was quite satisfied with it (until I upgraded to AS-F2 and an STF-3) :)
I'm confused - speakers do not output watts. What does the minimum recommended amp spec of the bookshelves have to do with the size of the subwoofer needed to pressurize his room? This post just doesn't make sense to me - :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv
I'm confused - speakers do not output watts. What does the minimum recommended amp spec of the bookshelves have to do with the size of the subwoofer needed to pressurize his room? This post just doesn't make sense to me - :confused:


25 Watt RMS is the MAX power output rating of each of the Athena Point.5 speaker - if you pump more power than that from your amp, you can say bye bye to your speakers, as they will emiting some scary smells due to overheating. And, as we all know, a good sound system has a balanced set of speakers - in order for the sub to blend in, it cannot be set too 'hot'. Therefore, the max output of the main speakers somewhat limits what the sub can do in a well-balanced system.

Of course, if you like to run your sub 12dBs too hot, that's another story.


What I was getting at is that since the Point.5s are rather low power, the (relatively) low power HSU STF-1 sounds quite well matched with them - you are more likely to overdrive the main speakers than the sub. If you are thinking of upgrading the main speakers in the near future, however, the STF-1 may not be enough for those.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top