AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kinda surprised that there hasn't been a big banwave for modded Xbox 360's. The new dashboard came out, and Black Ops. The thinking was that tons and tons of 360's would get banned a day or two before Black Ops released, but it's now been awhile since Black Ops came out, and still no ban wave.

Why do I care?

Well, it's a great way to pick up an extra Xbox 360 on the cheap. For offline, single player games, a banned 360 will work just as good as a regular one. Last year when the ban-wave hit, I ended up buying a 360 off Ebay, and got it for a SCREAMING good deal. Sure, I can't use that 360 on Xbox Live, but it's used in another room in the house for single player games, or offline gaming. No biggie. I was hoping to snag another banned 360 for dirt cheap, but I guess there isn't going to be a ban-wave this time.

Some people have a theory that Microsoft could ban thousands and thousands of 360's right now, but they aren't holding back, because they want the modders to buy Kinect hardware first. The theory is that anybody that really wants Kinect will get it sometime this holiday, so a ban-wave might come in mid-January.

·
Registered
331 Posts
So far AP25 has stopped the modded scene. AC: Brotherhood and NFS:HP both have AP25checks.

A new LT+ is in the works.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Wait for it........The new Kinect Update contained a burned/modded trojan to Brick all those questionable Xbox 360s.

Microsoft is waiting for the right time to get its "revenge".

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove /forum/post/19518831

Wait for it........The new Kinect Update contained a burned/modded trojan to Brick all those questionable Xbox 360s.

Microsoft is waiting for the right time to get its "revenge".

Like I was saying earlier, some think that MS could ban at any second if they wanted to, but because of Kinect, they have decided to not hit the ban hammer just yet. It makes brilliant sense actually. You've got a huge base of pirates that get your games for free, but they continue to pay big bucks for various pieces of hardware. If the pirates can play all the Kinect games for free, it makes them think much more seriously about buying this $150 peripheral. I'm guessing that more than half of the modders that buy a Kinect would have had zero interest in the thing, but the fact that they can burn the entire Kinect library of games, makes them feel like spending the $150.

If Microsoft is smart, they will wait until sometime in mid January before dropping the ban hammer again. At that point, Kinect has already been dubbed a retail sensation, and the modders will be S.O.L.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
The ban has nothing to do with playing Kinect games or not. It only bans you from Live. If they banned someone now they can still get Kinect and play all day long, just not on Live.

Banning would probably result in more console sales from everyone wanting back on Live... and some of those would be Kinect bundles.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymunky123 /forum/post/19521530

I was under the impression that to use kinect it required a live account.

No that isn't the case. Only certain apps including playing multiplayer on Live require a gold acct.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymunky123 /forum/post/19521530

I was under the impression that to use kinect it required a live account.

You need a gold account to use the kinect video chat. That's about it for Kinect stuff.

But it's oh so fun to upload your kinect pics and vids. Actually, I didn't test if you needed a gold account to upload your pics/vids.

My friends love how Kinect Adventures even slims them down in the pictures by subtly squeezing the aspect ratio. Contrast that with Dance Central where guts and glory is all there for people to see.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/19521514

The ban has nothing to do with playing Kinect games or not. It only bans you from Live. If they banned someone now they can still get Kinect and play all day long, just not on Live.

True.... But, the modding community was wondering if they would even be able to use the new dashboard on modded systems. The new dashboard was required for Kinect. It's very possible that Microsoft could have an even newer version of the dashboard coming down the pipe soon, (that will be mandatory for use with Kinect games), that won't work on banned consoles. They could drop the ban hammer prior to releasing this new update, and the banned consoles will be unable to get the update.

I'm assuming of course that Microsoft could make the update in a way in which somebody can't just hack the update and somehow get it working on modded consoles again. (which of course would be likely, but it could be a situation where it would take the hackers a number of months to get it working). All it would take is a few months, and many of these Kinect owners would either have to buy another Xbox, and actually spend some real cash on Kinect games, or they would have to sell off their Kinect's on Ebay and Craigslist.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/19532486

True.... But, the modding community was wondering if they would even be able to use the new dashboard on modded systems. The new dashboard was required for Kinect. It's very possible that Microsoft could have an even newer version of the dashboard coming down the pipe soon, (that will be mandatory for use with Kinect games), that won't work on banned consoles. They could drop the ban hammer prior to releasing this new update, and the banned consoles will be unable to get the update.

I'm assuming of course that Microsoft could make the update in a way in which somebody can't just hack the update and somehow get it working on modded consoles again. (which of course would be likely, but it could be a situation where it would take the hackers a number of months to get it working). All it would take is a few months, and many of these Kinect owners would either have to buy another Xbox, and actually spend some real cash on Kinect games, or they would have to sell off their Kinect's on Ebay and Craigslist.

It only took about a week for the kinect dash to be hacked for Jtag consoles, those guys tat make that stuff are pretty sharp.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
what the pirates do not realize is that MS is using Kinect to spy on them via the camera. Once they see you loading a pirated dvd into their systems the fbi will arrive and take them down...bamf

1 - 11 of 11 Posts