AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a Yamaha s1800 SACD/DVD-A dvd player. I noticed that they have bass management for SACD's, but there doesnt seem to be any for DVD-A playback.. and my reciever doesnt have bass man. on its 6/8 channel analog inputs...

I currrenty am not running a sub..(Im going to diy it, but not tilll spring). How exactly does this effect dvd-a playback?

· Registered
17,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozer12 /forum/post/18125346

Just got a Yamaha s1800 SACD/DVD-A dvd player. I noticed that they have bass management for SACD's, but there doesnt seem to be any for DVD-A playback.. and my reciever doesnt have bass man. on its 6/8 channel analog inputs...

I currrenty am not running a sub..(Im going to diy it, but not tilll spring). How exactly does this effect dvd-a playback?

Well, even if the player could bass-manage DVD-A properly (as in apply a crossover to the speaker channels), it would not be able to reroute the LFE channel into the front channels. No players will do this for any formats, be it DVD-A, SACD, or DVD. The LFE channel is dropped from the analog output whn the player is cnfigued as having NO SUB. So, the implication for DVD-A playback is that you will only be able to listen to the 5 main channels of info, passed full-range, which means you will "lose" that info that is below your speakers' capabilities. You will not be able to reproduce the LFE channel for any formats that are passed via your multichannel analog connection. SACDs can still be bass-managed, but they will be missing the LFE channel, too.

· Registered
2,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozer12 /forum/post/18126425

The reason its so cheap is because its not Blue Ray..

ALot of people bought these players for alot more money before BD...

For USED DVD player that do what you need you still have to pay more: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170444812428

Yamaha was (regardless of its original price) much less functional.

· Registered
17,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 /forum/post/18126628

For USED DVD player that do what you need you still have to pay more: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170444812428

That player can't bass manage DVD-A entirely correctly, either, even after the firmware upgrade. 96/24 surround channels are still not bass managed.

And as I said, NO player will reroute the LFE channel to the front channels.

· Registered
10,522 Posts
Once he has a sub which he's in the process the LFE reroute issue will evaporate. Second, leaving the surround speakers full range while may not be ideal, is not a big deal, since it receives very little bass info to begin with.[There might be a few recordings that has some bass, but won't be with high spl.] I used to run my bookshelf quartet in full range with with a sub for MCH music only, and never noticed much excursion on the surround speakers, even with the Blue Man Group DVD-A. Of course I'm not saying that BM isn't useful, it is and it's necessary in many cases, but listening habits, the type of music being played, and quality and size of the main speakers can negate some of the ill effects of not having a proper BM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.