AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently using a sharp dt -510 per the suggestion from avs forum. Its a nice projector for the money. I was wondering what do you think is a acceptable black level? In a room without darkened walls I don't get anything even close to black. A very weak grey at best.

For my screen I'm using a 90" insta-theater. Its said they are great for rooms with white walls because they are retro reflective. I don't see any specific places around the room where light is bouncing from however its still bright enough to read anywhere in the room. I find the, well I guess I should say white bars on movies to not be pleasant.

My wonderful gf bought us a new 60" lcd. I've did this comparison with the old one too however the newer model lcd's seem to have even better black levels. In the dark all you see is the image on screen. Everything else just blends in with the dark surroundings. After using mostly projector it was shocking to see blacks and deep colors on screen again.

I'm guessing the room , screen, and projector probably all cause me to have less than ideal black levels. Of course you cannot compare a 60 ish tv to the size of a projector nor can you compare the quality of a flat panel compared to a projector in less than ideal setup. I find that 60" is satisfactory especially if it has the superior picture. At this time I no longer want a projector in the living room. I don't want to paint to get satisfactory results as the room is already quite awkward for setting up ht.

We are having a room built in the basement. Not sure if it will end up being a 2nd ht or just a rec room. We enjoy watching movies upstairs.

Thanks for reading. I was just wondering how many others like myself have been putting up with poor black levels for so long. I am open to suggestions however I'm starting to think buy paint or go dedicated is the only way for projector.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Black is the absence of light. If you have any ambient light in the room and it hits the screen, there goes your black level. If you want good solid Blacks, control the lighting in the room. Any room that is bright enough to read in is not dark enough for acceptable images.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
As the other poster said, black is the absence of light. In front projection, even if there are no windows or anything, once you turn on a 200watt + projector...you have light. This can be helped with dark surroundings (darker the better) and ideally even better, absorbing dark surfaces (black velvet, carpet, etc...). That being said, even if you had a cave of all black, that particular projector is not capable of projecting a really low blacks...more of a dark gray. Long of the short, it will never compare to your flat panel in that regard.

Then again, your flat panel will never compare in size and such...trade offs.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSpork /forum/post/19578740

I'm currently using a sharp dt -510 per the suggestion from avs forum. Its a nice projector for the money. I was wondering what do you think is a acceptable black level? In a room without darkened walls I don't get anything even close to black. A very weak grey at best.

For my screen I'm using a 90" insta-theater. Its said they are great for rooms with white walls because they are retro reflective. I don't see any specific places around the room where light is bouncing from however its still bright enough to read anywhere in the room. I find the, well I guess I should say white bars on movies to not be pleasant.

My wonderful gf bought us a new 60" lcd. I've did this comparison with the old one too however the newer model lcd's seem to have even better black levels. In the dark all you see is the image on screen. Everything else just blends in with the dark surroundings. After using mostly projector it was shocking to see blacks and deep colors on screen again.

I'm guessing the room , screen, and projector probably all cause me to have less than ideal black levels. Of course you cannot compare a 60 ish tv to the size of a projector nor can you compare the quality of a flat panel compared to a projector in less than ideal setup. I find that 60" is satisfactory especially if it has the superior picture. At this time I no longer want a projector in the living room. I don't want to paint to get satisfactory results as the room is already quite awkward for setting up ht.

We are having a room built in the basement. Not sure if it will end up being a 2nd ht or just a rec room. We enjoy watching movies upstairs.

Thanks for reading. I was just wondering how many others like myself have been putting up with poor black levels for so long. I am open to suggestions however I'm starting to think buy paint or go dedicated is the only way for projector.

And here is your solution.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=16

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dug up a old thread on black levels. Was a interesting read. Seems that things dont have to be perfectly black but still the darker the better.

This is the 2nd or 3rd time I've tried to quit the projector but I can't do it. Even though its not perfect I guess I would say the image is still acceptable. I feel better knowing that if I get a better model eventually that things should be even better...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.