AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I run my Panasonic CP-72 in "interlaced" mode I cannot get it to pass blacker than black signals (the ones used in pluge signals during calibration in Video Essentials). I have tried the black level settings on the player in both the "lighter" and "darker" modes -- same result. The signal runs straight into my Panasonic 47wx51 HD RPTV through Belden component video cables. I tried the S-video out and got the same result.

My other DVD player, an older Toshiba interlaced player, displays the blacker than black signals just fine.

Note also that things are great on the CP-72 in progressive mode. Blacker than black shows up fine. The problem only occurs in interlaced mode.

There are some brightness and contrast settings in the player that can be accessed only in interlaced mode, and I have tried adjusting these too. No luck. No blacker than black.

My final question is, assuming I can't get this reconciled, does this mean I will never have proper blacks in interlaced mode, or does it just mean I will have to "eyeball" where to set the brightness control?

I'm only concerned about the interlaced mode because 1) this is a new player and I want to make sure there are no defects, and 2) my TV locks into "full" mode w/ progressive signals so I will have to use interlaced mode to get proper aspect ratios on non-anamorphic DVDs.

Please help! Any suggestions? Does this sound like a defect? I know some earlier generation players couldn't go blacker than black, but I'd be surprised to find that this one can only pass it in progressive mode!!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
It's just a design flaw in the CP-72 and RP-82. To set the black level, you could use Avia or Sound & Vision test discs. They don't require below black signal reproduction. But yes, it would certainly be better if they passed below black in interlaced mode.

Don

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.