AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a question. I currently do not own a BR player, nor do I plan on purchasing any time soon. I have 720p Panny plasma in my living room HT - hence no BR. I currently have a Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX receiver which is about 5 years(?) old powering B&W 601 S3s (x4), B&W LCR600, and LFE handled by a SVS PC12-NSD. It sounds really good. I run HDMI for DirectTV and my Denon DVD player to the TV, and component audio to the receiver. How much benefit will I gain by updating my receiver and running the HDMI into the receiver? Looking at the Pioneer 1019 and Denon 1910. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
30,154 Posts
first off:

Quote:
I have 720p Panny plasma in my living room HT - hence no BR.

this is bad logic, Blu-Ray still looks WAY better than SD DVD on a 720p display, it would look much better on a 480p ED display! The resolution of the display is MUCH less important than the resolution of the source.

your Panny display probably has a resolution of 1366x768 (assuming it's a 50-inch "720p" model), DVD only has a resolution of 720x480. You would MUCH rather feed it four times the resolution at 1080p, and let it "downscale" to the panel's resolution than have to invent information from an inferior source.

Blu-Ray players are CHEAP now! You can find a decent used player for under $200. If you care about movies, it's a better use of money than updating your very nice receiver to an entry-level HDMI model.

second:

Quote:
I run HDMI for DirectTV and my Denon DVD player to the TV, and component audio to the receiver

what is component audio? if you mean the red/white composite cables, I can upgrade your sound quality with a couple of digital audio cables for about 10 bucks

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Note that not all movies look a lot better in HD. While HD cable looks at lot better (to me,) than SD, that depends on the quality of the SD channel. I usually know when I am looking at an HD channel, so there's a noticable difference.

Some movies I have in HD though, are not particuarly impressive.

So it depends on the movie, and your viewing distance from your screen I think.

·
Registered
29,111 Posts

Quote:
I run HDMI for DirectTV and my Denon DVD player to the TV, and component audio to the receiver. How much benefit will I gain by updating my receiver and running the HDMI into the receiver? Looking at the Pioneer 1019 and Denon 1910. Thanks for the input.

Considering you have a HD satellite receiver and a standard dvd player, you'll get no audio or video improvement by running HDMI thru your receiver. An optical or digital coaxial cable from those devices will give you the same audio quality as HDMI would.

And the Pioneer 54TX may be a better sounding receiver than the models you're looking to replace it with. The only advantage may be the room calibration features of the newer receivers.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Passing the normal dolby and DTS soundtracks from a DVD to a receiver via HDMI should not be different at all from using a coaxial or optical digital connection. Experiences vary, and equipment varies, but FWIW my point of view is that normally it's best to keep the signal digital as long as you can.

From my point of view, while you are missing out on improvements in codecs by not using Blu-ray, moving to a newer receiver may very well be worth it. The availabilty of solid room correction capability should make your system sound better than ever.

The real kickers, for me, however, are the volume and EQ control that are available now (like the Audyssey dynamic volume and dynamic EQ in the Denon). Especially if you listen at less than (deafening sometimes) reference levels, these technologies hold out a promise of significant improvements in our entertainment experience.

I feel like I should ask somebody to send me a check. But really I'm not a shill. Just sold on the value of the new tech, IF ya stay digital all the way through.

·
Registered
22,495 Posts
The DSP and room correction features, plus much improved D-A and audio processing makes an upgrade worthwhile. The question of HDMI sources is secondary, as it should be. I'll second the opinion that a 720p plasma makes a BD player worthwhile too, not to mention the vastly improved HD audio found on BD.

But if I was looking for an excuse to buy a new AVR, the improved processing and room correction would be the excuse.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, brainfart. Was typing this quickly before jumping in the shower. I meant composite audio. Duh.

Yes, it's a TC-P50X1, so it is 1366x768. I also have a TH-42PZ700U Panny that is 1080p, but also does not have BR hooked up.

That was my question initially, as I have been extremely happy with the 54TX. So it doesn't seem like there is much to gain from moving to the 1019 and/or 1910. I have someone interested in buying the 54TX for $500, so I would be in a break-even mode to get a new receiver. At this time, no matter how cheap BR players are, I can't spare another $200 for one.

·
Registered
30,154 Posts
composite audio is the WORST audio you could be using! do you realize you aren't even getting real surround sound?

the first order of business is to get yourself some DIGITAL audio cables!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/16904056

composite audio is the WORST audio you could be using! do you realize you aren't even getting real surround sound?

the first order of business is to get yourself some DIGITAL audio cables!

OK crap, now you have me concerned. I can't remember what the hell I hooked up with it. It's in a bigass wall unit and I hooked it up years ago. I wouldn't have used junk cables. Believe me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/16904098

it's not about high quality vs low quality (e.g. "junk") cables, it's about analog (which is limited to 2-channel) versus digital (where you can get full 5.1 DD/DTS tracks).

Ok I am feeling pretty ignorant right about now. I am getting full 5.1 Dolby Digital surround through my speakers.

·
Registered
30,154 Posts
if the display of your receiver is indicating "DOLBY DIGITAL" then you are correctly hooked up with digital audio cables, it would be impossible for that to happen with composite (analog) cables. the display would probably say "DOLBY PRO LOGIC II" in that case.

there should be a way to get the status or info on the receiver and display the type of signal it is receiving.

false alarm

anyway, as indicated above, there ARE reasons to upgrade but HDMI is fairly secondary. advances in room correction and processing are the biggest benefit. If you can get $500 for that 54TX, I would sell it and then invest a couple hundred into a slightly better receiver than the 1910 / 1019 that will have more comparable amp and build quality to the Pio Elite. For the $700-800 range you have some nice options, like the newer Pio Elite SC-05, Denon AVR 2310CI or a closeout deal on an AVR 2809, Onkyo 806, etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/16904098

it's not about high quality vs low quality (e.g. "junk") cables, it's about analog (which is limited to 2-channel) versus digital (where you can get full 5.1 DD/DTS tracks).

Good lord I feel like a noob. Geez. I am running digital audio cable from the HD DirectTV DVR and the Denon DVD to the Pioneer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts