AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to build another HTPC; since I've a custom closet to store all my hardware there, I am thinking to just have a shelf and put a mother board with all the cards on the top and power supply feed the power, that's it. I plan to use couple 80 to 120mm fans and aim it to them. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Unusual, but hey, in California, anything goes right!

As long as the heat can vent, and it's not too awkward to u at maintenance times, go4rit.

Except, cables and PCI cards need physical support, so as long as u tie cables properly so they won't be tucking the PCI cards off their sockets, ur good.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Spend $20 and get a cheap case to keep everything in for two reasons #1 EM #2 RF. #1 could kill your system and #2 could cause noise in both your video and audio. If you're going microATX, Rosewill has a case that fits a 120mm fan front and back and it's literally $20 at newegg. If you're going full ATX, there are a TON of cheap options. Better safe than sorry and it's not like it's going to cost all that much.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon /forum/post/17003569

Spend $20 and get a cheap case to keep everything in for two reasons #1 EM #2 RF. #1 could kill your system and #2 could cause noise in both your video and audio. If you're going microATX, Rosewill has a case that fits a 120mm fan front and back and it's literally $20 at newegg. If you're going full ATX, there are a TON of cheap options. Better safe than sorry and it's not like it's going to cost all that much.

Thanks for the advice. It has nothing to do with the cost. It is just...

(1) I have been thinking a while since I have a whole shelf empty in my dedicated gadgets cabinet.

(2) I want to have as much air circular all the parts, hopefully cooler, and have a better/less performance/heat issues.

Not thought about the EM and RF issues. Thanks for bringing that up, I guess I will think more now.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc /forum/post/17003601

Thanks for the advice. It has nothing to do with the cost. It is just...

(1) I have been thinking a while since I have a whole shelf empty in my dedicated gadgets cabinet.

(2) I want to have as much air circular all the parts, hopefully cooler, and have a better/less performance/heat issues.

Not thought about the EM and RF issues. Thanks for bringing that up, I guess I will think more now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129056

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRufus /forum/post/17003655

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129056

I just can not see spending $150 for a few bits of plastic and aluminum.

The Cooler Master Elite 335 is about the cheapest full ATX dual 120mm case I know of that isn't too flimsy. 7 hard drives without using the 5.25" bays. If dust isn't an issue then just pop off the front pannel, use the front and rear fans as intakes and leave off the side panel with the system on it's side.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I run a open test bench with a Topdeck test station. It works great. But then I don't have cats, dogs, kids or other "pesky" small things that I have to worry about. Just rem that being open does not always mean better cooling. In some case you need to supply an air flow to really get the the best cooling even with an open system.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
It works. I had my mame arcade in a similar set up. put my motherboard and components directly on a wood board inside my cabinet. I later revised it and put it in a case that I picked up off of ebay for $20.

You might run into dust problems, but I think that will depend on your climate and environment.

The problem that you may run into is electrical interference.

I began building my set up on a test board of my mine before installing them in cases a few years ago. It is basically a 2'x4' board with plastic spacers put on the board where the motherboard attaches. The spacer help disspate heat underneath. It is great for testing things out. I got the idea from seeing similar set up ups on overclocking sites.

While doing that, I have noticed that I get more interference on some devices such as the tv antenna and such. It could have other effects too.

This is why you also need to shield a custom built case for the most part as well... interference.

PS: One of the things that seperates a good case form a bad case is the thickness of the metal.... part of that is shielding.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker /forum/post/17004095

I run a open test bench with a Topdeck test station. It works great. But then I don't have cats, dogs, kids or other "pesky" small things that I have to worry about. Just rem that being open does not always mean better cooling. In some case you need to supply an air flow to really get the the best cooling even with an open system.

I've no dogs and cats and my kids are old enough and not to near my toys :) Thanks.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini /forum/post/17004129

It works. I had my mame arcade in a similar set up. put my motherboard and components directly on a wood board inside my cabinet. I later revised it and put it in a case that I picked up off of ebay for $20.

You might run into dust problems, but I think that will depend on your climate and environment.

The problem that you may run into is electrical interference.

I began building my set up on a test board of my mine before installing them in cases a few years ago. It is basically a 2'x4' board with plastic spacers put on the board where the motherboard attaches. The spacer help disspate heat underneath. It is great for testing things out. I got the idea from seeing similar set up ups on overclocking sites.

While doing that, I have noticed that I get more interference on some devices such as the tv antenna and such. It could have other effects too.

This is why you also need to shield a custom built case for the most part as well... interference.

PS: One of the things that seperates a good case form a bad case is the thickness of the metal.... part of that is shielding.

That is exactly what I want to do and I hope I can dissipate the heat better and faster... Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
3,954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc /forum/post/17004155

That is exactly what I want to do and I hope I can dissipate the heat better and faster... Thanks for the advice!

Wood is a substrate that shields RF which is why Jamma boards in arcade machines were left exposed. So the bottom will be covered. You just need to sheild the other dimensions.

The side could be easy.... just put more wood on. You technically could also use a wood top as well. Either way, you should use a case of some sort.

If you are going to use wood, I would recommendmore than just hard board. I would think atleast .25-.5".

Depending on the wavelengths emitted, a simple solution might be a wire mesh lattice set up.

If you wanted a clear covering, you could use RF shield plexiglass. You would have to call around, but they do sell it commercially. It helps cut down on corporate espionage and is used in high security facilties.

Makes me think of a really interesting idea. What is you used a wood substrate for the case, but made it look like something else. Who knows... maybe even a chessboard. You could glue the chess pieces on top and use them as a "handle to open the top.

You should be fine in terms of cooling as long as you add a fan... maybe an 80mm. You may want to looking into a fireproof paint for the interior. It isn't going to just combust once the CPU hits 70C +, but in the rare event something blows and sparks fly... you don't want to burn down the house. I have only had it happen once... but you never know (meant having something spark out). An ounce of prevention......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts