AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post his question, but I recently lost my picture on CBS (11.1,11.2) here the in the DFW Metroplex and not sure why. I have had zero problems with OTA reception over the past five months until two days ago when the CBS feed went blank. The interesting part is I still get full audio for both channels. I called the CBS Station to find out if they had a problem due to the recent rains in the Metroplex? Spoke to an Engineer who said they have had no reported calls except mine. A possible problem he mentioned was: my antenna is in the attic and with all this rain my asphalt shingles may be screwing up the video feed from the digital transmission. It's rained here before with no problems so I am having problems with this explanation. All my other OTA channels are experiencing no problems and analog 11 and the audio from the digital are fine.

The reason I think it might be something in the Sony STB is: I attempted to "Auto Add" the Digital channels again and each time I do this, the slider/meter showing the input percentage gets hung about three quarters of the way for about five minutes before completing. It shows that 4,5,8,11,21,32 have all been received, but when I exit the menu I am still looking at a blank screen on 11.1 and 11.2. Audio is fine though. Any ideas or suggestions towards this problem.. My equipment is listed below. Thanks.

------------------

Cabber

Sony KV-36XBR400

Sony SAT-HD100

Sony DVP-S560D

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I would guess that your local CBS has recently altered the PSIP information and your SONY can not handle it. See if you can find out if only the SONY stb is affected.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I to am having problems with 11.1 and 11.2. I have DTC 100 and my signal strength is still 94 but no picture. Who did you call at KTVT and I will call myself. I kept thinking they would get it fixed but got back home and it is still off.

I was told to turn off the off air guides and do a new scan but then the channels didn't even come up. I do know they have been doing some upgrades with there equipment and they must have something screwed up.

------------------

Mark II

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Guys,

I'm in Houston and my F38310 hasn't been getting the CBS-HD primetime. I posted that topic in the HD-programming forum, but deleted it. What I did was a quick channel search and it came back to me(channel 11-1). Only now it's 31-1, guess it's a PSIP thing. Check your other channels, maybe it's mapped wrong???

JediMastr

------------------

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure who I spoke with, but let me know if you find out anything. I plan on calling again myself. As mentioned in my earlier post, I thought it might be the rain or the storm cell, however, it is a beautiful sunshiny day and still no picture, just audio. All my other stations are crystal clear. I have attempted to scan a few dozen times with the same results. Please keep me posted. Thanks.

------------------

Cabber

Sony KV-36XBR400

Sony SAT-HD100

Sony DVP-S560D

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I have the SONY and AFIK it will not let you tune to a channel unless it found it during a scan. You will just get the "channel not available" screen.

I recently went through a similar situation with our ABC affiliate here in Orlando. The channel was running along fine and then one day everyone with a SONY,Samsung and some others went black. The other brands including the ones the station used to monitor off air were unaffected. It turned out that the station was using a Harris/Lucent encoder and they were ungrading the software and beginning to insert data into the PSIP which took the SONY and others offline. I contacted the chief engineer by e-mail and offered my time to give them real-time feedback as they adjusted the PSIP data. They responded well to an offer of help instead of a complaint and that eventually lead to a phone call one day where I watched my SONY while they adjusted the data which solved the problem. The chief engineer then asked about the web site we used to trade info and he is now an avs contributor. Worth a shot with KVTV.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
I'm using a Panasonic DST50, and lost my KTXA-DT the other

day whereas it has always been received with no problem.

Speaking with Bill (chief engineer at the station) he

described a software upgrade a few days ago, and which he

wrote about on DHTG:

----------------------------------------------------

Yesterday - 8/30/2001 we did a software upgrade to our KTVT-DT PSIP computer. Upon completion we found that our Sony HD set needed a new channel search, but all other HD receivers were OK.

To be able to see what our viewers see we monitor our HD signal with RCA, Sony, Panasonic and Samsung consumer gear along with the professional receivers that we have.

We have always felt that some consumer gear is a little less forgiving than others. If you have problems with any one particular channel the first thing that you should try is a new channel search. Just remember one thing. Some software upgrades can take a significant amount of time, especially if the upgrade is on the HD Encoder.

Along with the PSIP upgrade on KTVT-DT we also did an encoder software upgrade on KTXA-DT. Next week we will be upgrading the software on the KTVT-DT encoder. So you may once again have to do a channel search. Currently I plan on doing the KTVT encoder upgrade on Wed – 8/5/2001 afternoon. I will attempt to post prior to the disruption of service.

--------------------------------------------------

well I don't have the Sony STB. I have a Panasonic DST50.

Upon his recommendation, I tried a new channel search but

still couldn't get UPN-DT on 21. Even more annoying, I

now couldn't get KXAS-DT (NBC-DT) either!

After a few hours I went back to the set, to see if things

had changed... but they hadn't. Just to try something new

I decided to manually select (i.e. merely TUNE it) the

digital channel for UPN, namely 18. Well remarkably, it

appeared with the channel 21 designation! And from now on

selecting channel 21 produced proper results. I no longer

needed to select channel 18 to receive UPN-DT.

On a hunch, I then manually selected the digital channel

for NBC, namely 41. Again, remarkably, it appeared with the

channel 5 designation! Again, selecting channel 5 now

also worked. I now no longer needed to select channel 41

in order to receive NBC-DT.

I don't know why what happened happened, but you might try

selecting CBS-DT manually (i.e. 19) and see if you can

get it. I can't participate, since I don't receive it

off-air where I live. I know I have an old Panasonic STB

and you all have newer Sony boxes, but perhaps this trick

might be applicable to you as well.

[This message has been edited by DSperber (edited 09-02-2001).]

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveMcWilliams:
With my DTC100, acquiring the Off-Air guides yields the same problems as MarkII describes. They have said that they are upgrading PSIP, etc. and it will probably be a few days before things get straightened out.

However, turning off the guides and rescanning should allow you to go to 19-1 and receive it OK. MarkII you said somewhere that that was working for you. Did that cease to be the case ?

Cabber, have you scanned with the guide acqusition off, or only with it on ?

[This message has been edited by SteveMcWilliams (edited 09-02-2001).]
Steve,

On the SAT-100 I do not believe I have another option for scanning besides AUTO. Any advice?? Thanks for the feedback.

------------------

Cabber

Sony KV-36XBR400

Sony SAT-HD100

Sony DVP-S560D

·
Registered
313 Posts
Since Friday KTVT in Ft Worth, TX has had a PSIP problem. They can be seen at 19-1 & 19-2. When you have good signal strength and a blank screen it is most likely a PSIP error. Check the main RF channel. Turn off the PgmGuide if you can. Then rescan. Different STB's act different.

I sincerely hope one day soon we all have this PSIP stable. That includes broadcasters and STB manufactures. It is indeed a bit trickey on both sides of the fence.

JStigler

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by MSL:
Cabber,

I have a SAT-HD100 and am also have the same problem you're describing. There're a couple of threads at the Dallas Home Theater Group talking about this exact topic:
http://dhtg.napurano.com/dhtgweb/dht...ML/000142.html
http://dhtg.napurano.com/dhtgweb/dht...ML/000143.html

It looks like the problem only affect the Sony STB. Hopefully they'll fix it before the US Open finals.

Ming
Thanks for the update guys!

------------------

Cabber

Sony KV-36XBR400

Sony SAT-HD100

Sony DVP-S560D

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JStigler:
Since Friday KTVT in Ft Worth, TX has had a PSIP problem. They can be seen at 19-1 & 19-2. When you have good signal strength and a blank screen it is most likely a PSIP error. Check the main RF channel. Turn off the PgmGuide if you can. Then rescan. Different STB's act different.

I sincerely hope one day soon we all have this PSIP stable. That includes broadcasters and STB manufactures. It is indeed a bit trickey on both sides of the fence.

JStigler
JStigler,

Are you referring to the Sony SAT-100 or another brand of STB, because I am still lost at how to get access to 19.1 and 19.2with my SAT-100? All I have is auto Program and it seems to pick up 11.1 and 11.2 each time. Audio but no video. Thanks for the help.

CAbber

------------------

Cabber

Sony KV-36XBR400

Sony SAT-HD100

Sony DVP-S560D

·
Registered
313 Posts
Cabber:

No I am using the RCA DTC-100. If they (KTVT) turned off the PSIP stream you would most likely scan ok for 19 and not 11. I get the same results in scan on the RCA if over the Air Guide is enabled.

·
Registered
546 Posts
With my DTC100, acquiring the Off-Air guides yields the same problems as MarkII describes. They have said that they are upgrading PSIP, etc. and it will probably be a few days before things get straightened out.

However, turning off the guides and rescanning should allow you to go to 19-1 and receive it OK. MarkII you said somewhere that that was working for you. Did that cease to be the case ?

Cabber, have you scanned with the guide acqusition off, or only with it on ?

[This message has been edited by SteveMcWilliams (edited 09-02-2001).]

·
Registered
43 Posts
This morning, 9/4/01 we found the problem and have corrected it. Many of you will not have to do a new channel search, but some might. If your STB has 11.1 and 11.2 mapped with no video being decoded you may not have to re-search. Most if not all DTC-100 owners will have to re-search.

Information on both KTVT and KTXA is posted on the local forum at www.dhtg.org (Dallas Home Theater Group)....

However, the dhtg.org is run on a members home PC and is down at times (including now). I do tend to post more regularly on it since it is local to the DFW area.

------------------

He who dies with the most toys wins.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.