AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this one is completely new (to me anyway), and I apologize up front because in order to get good assistance, I've found providing plenty of information is critical...so this is a tad long...

I came home from work and saw that my PVHS2000 was "recording" (Recording LED on), so I didn't flip on the TV (box was on, though). The new Friends came on, but since my box seemed to be recording, and I was busy, I still didn't flip on the TV.

About 8:25pm I turned on the TV figuring I'd go back and watch Friends from the beginning (and skip commercials :D ), but was not happy with what showed up. My Replay had a message at the bottom that it was beginning to record a show that started at 4pm. This is not new. It's happened a few times before...the box starts to record something and just locks up....in the 3-4 years I have my Replay(s), I've seen this maybe a dozen times.... All this usually means is I've lost anything that might have been scheduled to record between the lock up and when I noticed it (in this case, 4p -8:20p). So damn it, I missed the first episode of Friends, but that's just annoying...it's not the problem....:mad:

So, rather than warm reboot as usual (hold the power button in for 10 sec), I pulled the power cord... before powering the box off (doesn't pay, apparently, to get irritated at my Replay....), and then plugged the unit back in and let it reboot. BTW: The system had whined the night before when it tried to download the latest channel information claiming that it was out of memory and I needed to pull the plug for at least 15 seconds....again, not new. So I figured now would be a good time to pull the plug...

After it rebooted, the message "Unable to initiate record" showed up on the screen. This is new. I checked the Channel Guide, and it showed that Friends was set to be recorded, but it wasn't recording. While mucking with the box, a message that it was going to begin recording the next guaranteed record show in 25 seconds displayed on the screen....after the countdown, again "Unable to initiate record".

So, I went to the Channel Guide and tried to tune to channel 4. Here's the really odd part....after I was "on" Ch4 in the Channel Guide and I hit SELECT, the box showed the channel descriptive header (channel 4, the show title, etc., from the Channel Guide), and then it faded to the blue "ReplayTV" screen. This is the screen you see when you've exited some other screen [the default replay screen with the "...to watch shows on television press Channel Guide, to watch recorded shows press Replay Guide....."], not the "blue screen" of "no signal detected". No channel 4.

I went back to the Channel Guide and went up a few channels to Ch 7 and selected it. Same thing, the header for Ch 7 showed up, and then the "ReplayTV" screen....

I'm getting no channel signal at all, and no indication that the box is pissy about no signal...just nothing...as though the box thinks this is normal? Almost as though I had hit EXIT rather than selected a channel from the guide.

I've lost individual channels before (no signal detected), so I've found that 243-Zones, purging the Channel Guide and forcing a net connect will fix it, but this time it didn't.

I tried pulling the plug (this time after powering the box down -duh) and letting the box sit, then powering back up. Nothing.

I tried warm booting (10 second lean on the power button). Nothing.

I tried going into setup and telling it there was nothing connected to the Cable/Ant connection, letting it log in and update, then going back and telling it that the cable WAS connected and rebooting....nothing.

So, now that you have all the information (sorry for yammering on), tell me, did I shoot myself in the foot, so to speak, by pulling the plug on a powered up but locked up box and somehow hose my internal tuner? The box can't even seem to figure out that there IS no signal, so this is REALLY weird. It just acts as though that function is no longer supported (going to and viewing channels...and, apparently, recording from them). All it seems to know is "unable to initiate record".

What did I do?

What should I try now?

How screwed am I?

Thanks for reading all of this....now can you help me?

thx,

tarl_cabot

·
Registered
186 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the links -em. I had seen these before when I started researching my problem on the forum, but I don't think my issue is quite the same.

When I get no channel, there is no statement of "no signal detected" at the bottom of the blank blue screen (which I've seen on a few channels before and was able to clear up by refreshing the Channel Guide), but rather, I just fade over to the "default" blue screen that you'd typically get if you EXIT from either the Guide or the Channel Guide. This is the one that has the Replay symbol in the middle.

So, my Replay isn't indicating it is trying to tune to a channel it knows about and just can't locate a signal ("no signal detected"), rather it seems to be acting as though my attempts to tune are no longer a supported function and just fades over to the default blue replay screen just exactly as though I had hit EXIT.

I unplugged the machine about 2 hours ago and disconnected the coax in. I'll reconnect the CATV coax and reboot it before I go to bed and see if "a miracle has occurred", but I'm not holding my breath....

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
If you don't have any shows you care about I'd try a factory reset (777-zones) and see what happens.

or

If you've got a spare hard drive and feel comfortable swapping it out with the replay's current drive i'd try downloading a known-good image from ghoul, restore it to the spare drive and see what happens. It sounds like repeatedly pulling the power cord may have mucked things up. You should make sure you choose the "large cluster" option when doing the patch so you won't have the out of memory errors.

Links:

http://rtvpatch.sourceforge.net/
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...38#post2657438

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Tarl_Cabot, I've seen this problem before, unfortunately, factory reset has never helped. At least on the showstoppers I've come across the failure is within the motherboard. None the less I'd follow Lizard-boys advice and try the factory reset. Since you have another broken showstopper on hand put that drive in it and factory reset it.

As for your "out of memory" problem like Lizard-boy suggested repatch your 120 gig with RTVPatch 2.4 and answer yes to all prompts so you get memory saving large clusters. You will lose all recordings.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
I stand corrected. Do the Crunchy Doodle suggestion.
I tried the RF/Pwr reset suggested in Crunchy Doodle's post last night....no change.

I have a bunch of shows on my 80 (not 120G) drive that I'm not really willing to lose, but I do have a few HDDs laying around. I'll see what I can do. I know I have a 10 or 20G that has a 2.x image on it that has to be updated via PC....maybe that'll work for me.

In the meantime, I guess it's back to VCRs (ghads! and bleah!).

If the new HDD doesn't do the trick, I'm going to have to swap out motherboards, aren't I? Fortunately, I know where I can get one....unfortunately, I know where I can get one....:(

If anyone else comes up with another suggestion, I'm all ears.....

tarl_cabot

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, somebody up there likes me. I mentioned that I tried Crunchy Doodle's "fix" last night, and nothing was changed...still no channel function....

Well, I just left the box on and displaying the "default" Replay blue screen. This was after many attempts at Channel Guide clearing, logging into the network, updating/downloading/etc. I figured it couldn't get any worse, and I was just going to have to deal with the shows it didn't record while I was at work...

Well, when I got home this evening, the "Recorded Show" LED was lit (neat trick since it kept telling me yesterday that it was "unable to initiate record" for anything). I turned the TV on to see what was up with the PVHS, and it was showing a program that was currently in the process of being recorded.

Somehow, the "miracle" I alluded to in jest in a previous post came to pass....my Channel Guide seems to have spontaneously "healed" itself, and I can view channels, change channels and record channels.....all without doing a darn thing. -remember, the last time I touched the box, it was still "broken"....

I'm not complaining, but I am confused....but right now, I'm watching the StarGate that came on the SciFi channel this evening at 8pm, and I'm one happy camper. Don't know what happened, but I'm glad it did. I'll keep you apprised if the problem re-occurs.....

tarl_cabot

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.