AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I post in the DVD players forum asking for evidence that the EM8500 chip adds EE internally, the replys add up to the whole thing being an urban legend, and then Keith Jack of Sigma Designs posts "No chip from Sigma does EE internally".

My point being, if you own a EM8500 based dvd player the output can be improved by using higher grade components or bypassing the output circuitry, something we could all have known sooner, if people hadn't equate frequently stated opinion with fact.

Huey has a digital projector, so it's hardly surprising he would be irrationally vocal with regards to his "right hand side EE in the sigma chip" theory. Digital FP devices should be withdrawn until their effect on mental health has been fully assessed.

Cheers,

John

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Interesting thread John . Especially the post from Keith Jack with Sigma stating Sigma is not adding EE to there chips .

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Of course Sigma is going to say that, those all in one chips are not that hot anyway, no matter the maker

The best DVD playback I have seen to date is component output from the best mpeg decoder ever made(panasonic MN67753IKA) into the DVDO Iscan HD scaler, just gorgeous

totally spanking the NeuNeo :)

players with this mpeg decoder are: panasonic rp91 and rp82, Denon 1600 and Kenwood DV-5700 (use close brothers to the panasonic MN67753IKA)

just think what SDI into the Iscan HD will look like, I was just testing component into the Iscan HD until I had completed the SDI mod and was floored at the quality, can't wait to get the SDI up

The Iscan HD unit gives a amazingly clean image free from any scaling artifacts and offers a plethora of adjustments, why I didn't go this route years ago is beyond me

Iscan HD offers any resolution you wish to use and frame rates of 72 and 48 HZ

-Gary

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
So no 50 and 75Hz for PAL users??

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell
Of course Sigma is going to say that, those all in one chips are not that hot anyway, no matter the maker

The best DVD playback I have seen to date is component output from the best mpeg decoder ever made(panasonic MN67753IKA) into the DVDO Iscan HD scaler, just gorgeous

totally spanking the NeuNeo :)

players with this mpeg decoder are: panasonic rp91 and rp82, Denon 1600 and Kenwood DV-5700 (use close brothers to the panasonic MN67753IKA)

just think what SDI into the Iscan HD will look like, I was just testing component into the Iscan HD until I had completed the SDI mod and was floored at the quality, can't wait to get the SDI up

The Iscan HD unit gives a amazingly clean image free from any scaling artifacts and offers a plethora of adjustments, why I didn't go this route years ago is beyond me

Iscan HD offers any resolution you wish to use and frame rates of 72 and 48 HZ

-Gary

Gary

I have A/B compared the RP91 to the RP56 and the RP62 and I thought the 56 and 62 both beat the 91.

Steve

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
We are only talking about taking the raw mpeg decoder from the above mentioned players and inputing it into the Iscan HD scaler via SDI, the above mentioned players are standard fair 480p component players and not that good ones at that

the true beauty of them is their unbeatable mpeg decoder performance and that is why we input it into the Iscan HD scaler via SDI, the SDI signal from the players is pure digital 480i

-Gary

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Ok Gotcha

For the record. It is my opinion that those players, while completely inadequate w/o a scaler for CRTFP users, were some of the best players at thier price points and completely satisfactory for almost anyone not requiring higher than 480P O/P.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
My PC has been chugging along nicely while all this dvd player/transcoder/scaler flip-flopping has been happening.

Put disc in, skip warning, watch movie....it just works. ;)

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
The rp91 is the best dvd player ever made, I was partial to the champagne color over the black, man I loved that player :cool:

but I picked the Kenwood DV-5700 because of the sweet 5 disc changing capability, can't wait to get him SDI modified

-Gary

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
But Gary

I also owned the RP91 for a while and I do agree that it is a good player but IMO it is bested by the 56 and 62 due to its one fatal flaw.

Chroma bug

Steve

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
I happen to own the RP-91 SDI model modified by Immersive and the reason I had the modification done was the player has no Chroma bug nor does the Technics DVD A-10 a clone of the RP-91 .

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
By the way I did a full setup this morning for 480p using the RP-91 and Mikes MP-5 and all I can say is the component output of this player at 480p never looked better !

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Tom

Just did a little research and I stand corrected.

I do remember testing the RP91 against the RP 56 and RP62 a few years ago when I was using a RPTV and DVDP with 480P O/P. At that time I preferred the 56 and 62 overall and for some reason thought the 91 had the bug. Obviously my memory fails me but I do remember that I prefereed the 56 and 62 especially the 56.

Not that the 91 was a bad player. Like I said in my prev post I thought they all were at the top of the food chain at thier price points. One other point to make was that the 91 had the best remote ergonomically for a DVDP that I have ever seen. Just needed a light to make it perfect.

Now i use a PC and the RPs have long since been sold.

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Hi Steve,

The RP-91 was the top of the line player at the time and the RP-62 was later modified by Key Digital for SDI with it's own problems but the build quality of the RP-91 was never equaled by the RP-62 or RP-56 . Just my opinion :)

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Correct the RP 91 was a better player in appearence, features etc. The remote was far better than the 56 or 62 as well.

But...

I believe the 56 and 62 had a Farouja chip while the 91 had a genesis.

As far as mods go I'll tell you what I know.

Absolutely nothing LOL.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts

"We are only talking about taking the raw mpeg decoder from the above mentioned players and inputing it into the Iscan HD scaler via SDI, the above mentioned players are standard fair 480p component players and not that good ones at that

the true beauty of them is their unbeatable mpeg decoder performance and that is why we input it into the Iscan HD scaler via SDI, the SDI signal from the players is pure digital 480i"

Actually Gary, that's what you are talking about. The post is about the idea that Sigma players add EE is bogus. Check the title of the thread.

I know you would like your theory about all of the Momitsu like players are junk to be the last word on the subject. Just like you wanted the idea that the Momitsu itself added EE to be a fact but.. it wasn't true.

My Momitsu is terrific, everything I expected it to be and I sort of knew it would be based on you review of how poor it was.

-Brian

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Lord no the rp91 didn't have the chroma bug, it's mpeg decoder was and still is the best made, it's closest brother(basically identical) was used in the Denon DVD-1600 and the Kenwood DV-5700 I picked up

-Gary

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I'd be very interested if you could A/B your iscan setup vs the various scaling players.

Do you have any left that still have the smoke in them?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.