AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there no color/tint adjustment on the dila's when fed via computer 2 input (5 bnc interface) when in 1080i mode (hdtv2 1080i)? The changes I make seem to have no effect. I just hooked up a dtc100 and contrast seems too high (-17 to stop blooming) and color seems low. Even though you can set the values they apparently have no effect.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am running my HDTV (Dish Network HD 6000) into the RGB component inputs (3 video cables) of my G11 and have never really had to make any adjustments except sharpness and brightness. The g11 component inputs have all the adjustment available. Brightness, contrast, sharpness, color, tint etc. The picture (1080i) has always been pretty well right on. (HBO & Showtime HD)

I do however have an HTPC running into the Computer (can't remember whether its 1 or 2) inputs to the G11. The only adjustments that I recall available are brightness and separate R, B and G color levels. I don't know that much about the RCA HD unit but if you have an Component out option I would suggest using that one. I initially tried the computer out 15 pin set up (I have the option of selecting RGB or Component on the HD 6000) and found it to be inferior in picture quality to the component out.

Don

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hi Rick,

I can answer that. Thanks to William Phelps (master calibrator) who was very helpful in explaining it to me early this year when I encountered the same thing on my G-11.

Digging the archives to quote him directly:

"Luca,

I would be very surprised if chroma and hue levels could be adjusted on any RGB input on any projector. The RGB (computer) input gives control of these parameters to whatever is providing the signal - it's Red, Green, Blue levels in real time, plus H & V sync. It's not a video signal, so chroma level and hue are not really controllable."

He went on to add (upon my questioning that the same controls are adjustable just fine through all computer settings, like SXGA3 for ex.) :

"Those are 2 different animals! The individual levels of R, G, and B are gain controls. Color and Hue are NTSC decoder settings. When you connect an RGBHV signal to the projector, you bypass the decoder, since the signal is no longer an NTSC signal."

Luca

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sucks! Ok, what seems to be happening here is that the 'software' adjustments for Computer2 input on the DILA vary based on the refresh rate presented? When I feed 60+ kHz signals and I select a computer resolution (SXGA3) the projector allows me to adjust the RGB gain controls, but if the refresh rate is 33.75 KHz (1080 interlaced) I cannot adjust the RGB gain? Why? It must be because the DILA expects that 1080i signal is arriving via component inputs and thus the controls should be 'color/tint'?

So, is there a way to tweak the default refresh rate of one of the computer resolutions to sync with a 33.55 kHz (interlaced) signal, maybe with Dilard? But then I loose - the 4:3 or 16:9 choice. Then I'd have to set the dtc100 at 4:3 instead of 16:9, let the dtc letterbox the image and I bet I loose that 'special' deinterlacing service the DILA does with 1080i.

We'll I do have one other option. Last night I re-tuned the DILA black levels with Dilard for the dtc100 and saved them. They are not dramtically different, but they are different, and it looks better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.